Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work for a stand

Hi everyone.
    I'm still in the planning stage and want to run something by those with more knowledge about structural strengths of stands etc.
    I have a heap of 110W 390L 190H concrete blocks.
    I would like to know if they are suitable to use without having to double them up. Here is a very rough drawing of the shape of the stand. I will double them up at the ends as you can see and they will be 4 blocks high with a brick curtain at the top.
    Hope this makes sense.

Re: Will this work for a stand

For those who don't speak French: the blocks are 4.3" wide, 15.3" long and 7.5" high.

They will work fine, I don't even think you need the front-to-back wall, one cross wall should be support enough.

The reason we don't use what we call 4x8x16 blocks more in the US is that you can't do the dry-stack-and-fill method, as the cavities are too small. Mortaring block walls is a bit of a challenge for masonry novices. This tool makes the job a little bit easier.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys I really appreciate it.
      So it looks like I can use them but I'm just a little confused about using bricks for the curtain/boarder as it will weaken the joints as you say Doug. Are you saying this because the bricks must sit on the blocks therefore reducing the amount of slab that'll be resting there. If so the bricks I plan on using are 50mm wide and I was going to have them sitting 30mm on the blocks and 20mm overhanging. That'll leave 80mm for the slab to make contact with the blocks and rest on.
      Is this enough or should I drop the brick idea and think of another way of decorating the slab. That's all it really was just a way of making it look nice.
      I can always tile around the slab with terracotta or similar.
      Thanks again guys I love this site.

Comment

Hi Doug

The opening will be at the bottom of the pic which has the two spaces side by side. I am going to put shelves in there and a couple of doors. The side openings will be were I store the wood. Might also put doors there to keep the weather out.
        Can't wait to start this build but as we have christmas at our house this year I'm not aloud to start until christmas is over

Comment

Working...
        X