will these bricks work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will these bricks work ?

i can get 300 firebricks for good price but they are 4.5 X 9 X 1 inch. So i will need to cut in three to get enough to build oven BUT that will leave me with a thickness of 3" is that eneough thermal mass ?

Re: will these bricks work ?

You might need more than 300...
    I used 9x4.5x2.5 bricks, 224 bricks to make my 42".
    224 includes the hearth, landing, vent arch and the dome.
    Last edited by FrankT; 12-28-2010, 09:10 PM.
    Oven build 2010
    Masonry veneer finishout 2012

Comment

These are firebrick splits, which will require more mortar and sawcuts than if you used standard 9x4.5x2.5" firebricks. If you don't mind the extra work, I think the look of an oven made with these would be fantastic. There are plenty of precast ovens that are less than 3" that work great. If you can possibly swing it though, I think you'd enjoy the heat retention benefits of a 4" dome, especially in cold weather. Just my $.02 worth.

John

Comment

Yeah, the dome interior would look awesome with splits.
        Around here, splits cost just about the same as full sized firebricks so using them is not at all practical.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Three inches of thermal mass is ok, but as a builder of a thin dome (2.5") I can attest that thin domes are more prone to cracking. It's also not that much of advantage in heat up time. I'd use the half bricks to build your dome if at all possible.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Cant you just add more mass with house bricks outside of the fire bricks if needed?
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankT View Post
              You might need more than 300...
              I used 9x4.5x2.5 bricks, 224 bricks to make my 42".
              224 includes the hearth, landing, vent arch and the dome.
              Assuming FrankT is correct, you'll need about one hundred regular sized bricks to complete the build. Just put them where the experts say you need them the most. But, definitely use/recycle the smaller bricks. I say yes to recycling bricks or anything else when you can. dmun could probably advise you on the best curing strategy and mortar content to minimize the cracking he experienced
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
              X