Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

HI! Have been lurking since joining the FB forum, waiting for my info to be updated, yeah, it happened today, I can finally talk to you all.

My husband and I are planning out pompeii oven here in West, Texas ( about 20 miles north of Waco). We found a pallet of cinder blocks at Habitat for Humanity for $60 about 2 months ago. Got the stand laid out on the back patio....will be putting the concrete in and framing for the slab support over the next few months......I want it done NOW, but I will have to work on my patience as we both work full time.

We have printed out the Pompeii plans and spend time reading and thinking about how things are going to go. Loved reading about the oven builder up in...Witchita Falls I think it was, had his cuts so precise, amazing.

Anyway, wanted to stop by and say hello. Soon as I have a few posts in, I will post the photos of the stand, very basic, but our beginning!
    knowledge is contagious, spread the infection!!!

Welcome!

Good luck with the next phase of your project

When you are looking for a source for your fireclay, ceramic insulation, rigid insulation and such, Wesco refractories is in Mansfield.....Very fortunate for us. They were very helpful to me. Spoke with the owner, his son and their engineer and found they have/manufacture every material that must endure heat in your oven.

We are between Granbury and Cleburne.

Weso Refractories
    301 S. 6th Ave.
    Mansfield, Tx 76063
    817-332-1589
    Last edited by Lburou; 01-11-2011, 08:16 PM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Hello!

lt,
      Congratulations on starting your most wonderful adventure! You and your better half are in a wonderful place: blocks in hand, committed to the most satisfying of all projects, and your entire build ahead of you. Try to be patient with your approach and take your time to enjoy the process. You will be finished before you know it!

Good luck, don't hestitate to ask the stupidest question and post lots of pictures!

John

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I love looking at the finished projects that everyone posts. I really want to have the oven in the traditional bee hive configuration.....my husband wants to build it its' own little house......not sure who will be the winner on this point. I understand that it would offer protection from the elements and inhance temp holding ( at least I think it would) but I just love the natural, elemental shape of the dome!!!!! Any one have an opinion> for or against?

Comment

Note!

We have progressed some since my post above. Have installed the PBX insulation offered by Wesco. It supports the dome fine, but with some compression.

The bricks under my dome have compressed the insulation about an eigth of an inch. When I step on the bricks in the center of the oven floor, they go down flush with the outer ring of bricks, then, spring back up when the weight is removed. I think its going to work, but with a little extra (read unwelcome) work to get around this issue.

What is going on with your build?
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

we have not moved past the placement of the cinder block foundation. We had several things crop up that demanded attention. Hoping to get back on track as soon as the refund from the Government shows up.......will do rebar and cement in the cinder block cavities for strength in the near future.

Comment

Hi,
              Building the Pompeii myself this summer, please keep me posted on any recommendations you come up with or helpful hints. Thanks Joseph

Comment

Working...
              X