Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Door Dimensions

Hey Everyone,

New to the site and getting started on an interesting build where i am including the WFO as part of a larger fireplace for an outdoor kitchen. As a result of the oven being part of the main fireplace and where it is being built, i am restricted on the depth of the fireplace - looks like the largest oven i will get in the space i have is 28"-30" internal diameter.

With all that being said, trying to determine a couple of things:

1. will an oven this size still be functional and practical or will i be disappointed with it once i try to use it?

2. what is the minimum door height that you would recommend? I am considering increasing the height of the dome by soldiering the first course of brick for the dome in the 4.5" direction, then building the dome from there, but rather than setting my radius from the oven floor, perhaps elevating the bottom of the radius by a couple inches. I'm thinking that this would then give me a bit of extra height to play with when calculating my 63% for the door height. Has anyone else ever done this? Thoughts on how it might affect the performance of the oven?

3. Is there any ratio for the door width to the size of the oven? I realize that i don't want to make the opening too wide or it will be hard to maintain temp, but don't want to get it to narrow that it's difficult to make a fire or cook in. Thoughts?

Right now i am thinking that if i have a 28" internal diameter, with a dome height of 16", i would make the door 16" wide x 11" high (at the tallest point of the arch). Any feedback/suggestions that any of you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alan

Re: Minimum Door Dimensions

Originally posted by aharlow View Post
    Hey Everyone,

New to the site and getting started on an interesting build where i am including the WFO as part of a larger fireplace for an outdoor kitchen. As a result of the oven being part of the main fireplace and where it is being built, i am restricted on the depth of the fireplace - looks like the largest oven i will get in the space i have is 28"-30" internal diameter.

1. will an oven this size still be functional and practical or will i be disappointed with it once i try to use it?

2. what is the minimum door height that you would recommend? I am considering increasing the height of the dome by soldiering the first course of brick for the dome in the 4.5" direction, then building the dome from there, but rather than setting my radius from the oven floor, perhaps elevating the bottom of the radius by a couple inches. I'm thinking that this would then give me a bit of extra height to play with when calculating my 63% for the door height. Has anyone else ever done this? Thoughts on how it might affect the performance of the oven?

Lee: Have heard it talked about....Don't know if anyone has reported back about how it worked out.

3. Is there any ratio for the door width to the size of the oven? I realize that i don't want to make the opening too wide or it will be hard to maintain temp, but don't want to get it to narrow that it's difficult to make a fire or cook in. Thoughts?

Right now i am thinking that if i have a 28" internal diameter, with a dome height of 16", i would make the door 16" wide x 11" high (at the tallest point of the arch). Any feedback/suggestions that any of you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alan
    Welcome Alan

The smallest oven I've read about here is 21 inches, and they are happy with it.

You are in the ball park with those opening sizes, but you may want to read this.to be sure.

Have read about making a higher dome as you describe, but have not heard anyone report back about it or how it worked out.

My advice for getting used to the information on this site is here.

Good luck
    Last edited by Lburou; 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

My old oven that I am about to knock down and rebuild has an oven door 480mm wide x 300mm high, the door seems to be a tad too low.

The new all improved oven's door will be 480mm wide x 400mm high.

I worked on the door size first which then determined the internal flue opening height.

Im going to build a hybrid barrel type with a low arched roof, just to be different.
      Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The 63% door height to dome height is critical while firing. You could design in a removable cast iron lintel / header to give more height while cooking.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions... i've been doing some more reading on the site and have found some very helpful information. If anyone else has any suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks again...

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by aharlow View Post
            Hey Everyone,

Thanks,
            Alan
            Hi... I'm new here.. I have built a few ovens.. for me it's about how you are going to use your oven. I personally prefer a shallow dome so I can run the flames over the pizza if needed to really get those toppings toastie.,. Before the base is too well done. A door of about 400 mm is generally about right .. remember fire needs to breath... It's about getting the right Ballance.. all ovens are slightly different.. and that's why they are great. One last thing it's better to put a stop( something to push your door against ) between oven and chimney.. so you can roast with residual heat... Hope this helped. Ps birchwood rules for over flame.. tasty

Comment

Working...
            X