Asbestos in bricks ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos in bricks ?

I saw a document mentioning kiln firebricks sometimes contain asbestos. I assume all firebricks made in last couple of decades won?t have asbestos but what about older firebricks. How commonly was asbestos used ? Sounds like making a WFO creates lots & lots of dust unless have a wet saw...which I won't as we don't have HF in NZ. Not keen on doing anything with asbestos.

Re: Asbestos in bricks ?

Each manufacturuer has their own process - though all of the analytical that I have in my records for almost 100 years of bricks in the SW US indicate nothing. If you are concerned about some recycled bricks, take a chip off and send it to an asbestos lab for $10 to $15.

I do know some refractory muds did contain asbestos though
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

I also know of no bricks made using asbestos, although plenty of kiln insulation was either composed of or contained asbestos.

Comment

I'll almost certainly be using new as chances of finding used is 0.001% but thought it was worth asking as it's very nasty stuff. I'm still waiting on Forno Bravo NZ to reply to my messages....perhaps they have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          I also know of no bricks made using asbestos, although plenty of kiln insulation was either composed of or contained asbestos.
          CORRECT, no asbestos in firebricks. Asbestos was used in insulating situations.

Comment

However, there is silica which can cause "issues" according to OSHA and the state of California. Just take precautions with minimizing the dust, wearing a good dust mask (which is rated at P95 or better) and working with the bricks as wet as possible.
            Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Working...
            X