finally finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally finished

taken a while to put the last bricks in, maybe cause because once you can cook in the oven and its functional the rush to finish it diminished somewhat. Anyway now I have to start on the outdoor kitchen now!
    Cheers
    CRWDTB

Re: finally finished

Something to be proud of crwdtb

I like the continuity between the brick veneer on the oven and stand and the patio brick, nice touch
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Good job will be starting a modular soon it arrives tommorow I am getting excited to start the work

Comment

made a start on kitchen , making it up as I go, probably put fridge on left and bin on right

Comment

Probably too late now, but you should have put some flashing underneath the pine bottom plate, it will rot away in 1 or 2 years from the moisture.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

even if it is to be a substructure? I am coveringing it in cement sheeting then bricking it in, like the oven. will it still rot you think? cant see it getting that wet.

Comment

Radiata pine is notorious for failing with moisture.
              You need to keep it off the ground, covering it may protect it but if you get a leak it will rot.
              Treated pine would have been a better option outdoors.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If you could somehow lift that untreated pine off the ground.. even 1/4" to allow any water to weep away that would be a big help. The other thing you can do,is make sure the enclosed area has ventilation. That way any water that does get in, can evaporate and get out. Somehow get at least 2 vents in there.. in the back maybe where it's not seen? If you could get 4 in, even better (2 down low, 2 up high to encourage air movement.

The venting will help with any scenario, so try to get that in there.
                My oven (for now):
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

typically we use treated lumber like brikie said you may be able to slide a piece of sheet metal under the bottom plate
                  Last edited by Taxin; 03-03-2011, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I AM KICKING MYSELF FOR NOT USING TREATED PINE! WHAT WAS I THINKING?
                    thinking i should maybe tear it down?

Comment

the other option is to vent it at the back , I had a look at the framing under my oven which I havent taken out and has been there a year or so and it seems to fine.I am not disputing that the wood doesnt stand up to the elements, I am just trying to think of other options to tearing it all down. Getting those masonry nails out of the concrete aint going to be easy!

Comment

would painting or staining the wood help. I know there is a product you can buy in a spray can that is used to spray on cut areas of treated pine effectively re-treating it. I don't know how good it is but Bunnings sell it.
                        Perhaps biting the bullet and re doing it is better option as it'll give you peace of mind. If money isn't an issue that'll be what I'ld do.

Comment

OK, first thing.. DON"T PANIC! It's not the end of the world. It'll be fine. I bet that cement board will hold up most everything even if a piece rots out.. which will take time. Get it as leak proof as possible, install some vents of some sort, and keep baking!! Good luck!
                          My oven (for now):
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Is it just if it gets wet constantly or does it just rot over time with moisture in the air? because once its all bricked in with a concrete top, which will be supported by the bricks not the wood structure, it wont be getting rained on.

Comment

if there won't be any extra moisture around it will probably be fine I wouldn't sweat it just for next time happened to me once also

Comment

Working...
                              X