Earth Ovens on Trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Ovens on Trees?

I've decided that a home-made pizza oven will be this year's obsession for me, and will likely use the method in Kiko Denzer's book. But, I was scouring my yard for the perfect location, I realized that the ideal location in my yard will be compromised by the roots of a fairly large tree, approximately 26" diameter at breast height. The nearest overhanging branches are at least 35 - 40 feet high

Well last year's obsession was building tree-houses, so I started wondering if I couldn't just construct a base for an earth oven to a tree? I could use diagonal supports for the base from above and below, and have a convenient place to attach a rain shelter as well. I know I'd have to place it low enough that I wouldn't get any significant movement from a strong wind. I've searched high and low online for anyone who might have tried this, but came up with nothing. Has anyone ever tried, seen, or heard of anything like this? Does it sound completely insane?
    Thanks

Re: Earth Ovens on Trees?

I have a 36" pompeii that is stuccoed, and my rough estimate of the weight is between 2200# and 2300#... add in a 6'x6' 4" thick slab and it's another 1800#, a 6'x6' 6' slab would be 2700#... i think you are going to want to figure out how to fasten everything to Mother Earth. have you thought about sinking pylons in between the root structure?

Comment

Well I was thinking of somewhere between 22-24" interior oven diameter, but even if I can get to half the weight you're talking about, that's still pretty heavy. We could potentially sink posts between tree roots, but with the limited space in that area, I'd be hard-pressed not to have one side connected to the tree. Sounds like we may just need to pursue a different location.

Comment

Ovens are heavy and rigid. We discourage wooden support bases of any sort. It's hard enough to prevent cracking without your base being in motion.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I was thinking of concrete pylons, but even then if the roots grow against them you will have the potential of cracking in your hearth or oven... it wouldn't take much movement to cause major problems...

Comment

When the tree's time is up (lightning, age, disease) that will be the end of your oven.
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Or when the cinders light it on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                Ovens are heavy and rigid. We discourage wooden support bases of any sort. It's hard enough to prevent cracking without your base being in motion.
                Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                When the tree's time is up (lightning, age, disease) that will be the end of your oven.
                Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                Or when the cinders light it on fire.
                Before you settle on this unique plan to perch an oven in/on a tree, what are your other options? Show us some pictures
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                X