Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max oven size given area

Hi Everbody!

New here and just starting my planning. I have a 44"x44" area that I would like to use. Given that size, what size oven could I build there? I want to make it as low-profile as possible, so I'm going with an igloo finish.

Another question: Can you use steel studs as a base or must you use concrete blocks or a steel frame?

Thanks!

Re: max oven size given area

Have you downloaded the Pompeii oven plans from this site? They spell out what you will need for proper insulation and dome enclosure dimensions, whether its an igloo or enclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by justindt View Post
      Hi Everbody!

New here and just starting my planning. I have a 44"x44" area that I would like to use. Given that size, what size oven could I build there? I want to make it as low-profile as possible, so I'm going with an igloo finish.

Another question: Can you use steel studs as a base or must you use concrete blocks or a steel frame?

Thanks!
      Ovens built according to the fornobravo plans have 4.5 inch brick walls and another four or six inches of insulation. That would leave 24-27 inches for an oven floor, a workable dimension but on the small side of the usual oven on this forum. There are several polls concerning oven size here.

What is the limitation around your 44 X 44 inch space? Depending on the limitations of your space, you might eke a slightly larger oven floor.

A steel frame designed for the weight of an oven is fine. Look at the fornobravo store for an example of a steel frame.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

"Ovens built according to the fornobravo plans have 4.5 inch brick walls and another four or six inches of insulation. "

You can even cut the insulation thickness down locally at the "pinch points" to 2 inches or so.

Comment

You could also consider using a refractory oven. I must suspect that it is the width that is constrained and that the depth could be more flexible. A Casa 2G80 should fit and the 2G90 might. The larger Giardino would easily fit.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and good tips. I do plan on doing a refractory oven, but I will probably just choose a different area to give me some more room to play with.

Comment

Working...
            X