Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before I start

Hi All
    I am just ready to start my oven and would be grateful for some advice, I have had no luck in trying to purchase clay, I would like to put a cavity underneath for storing logs.
    Also I have heard that I need insulation, but where do I put it? Can I use cement instead of clay? Any help would be very welcome.

Welcome!

An oven build after the pompeii design is quite a project, yet ordinary people get it done all the time. My advice for proceeding is here.

The fireclay you need for the home made mortar is available at refractories (look in yellow pages or do a google search for your local area), or at pottery supply houses.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Before I start

Thanks mate for the advice it will come in very handy.

Comment

Also I have heard that I need insulation, but where do I put it?
        You must insulate or your oven will be worthless. You need insulation under the floor and dome, and around the dome as well. You need two inches of refractory insulation board or four inches of vermiculite concrete under your oven and a similar amount of refractory blanket insulation or vermiculite concrete (or loose vermiculite in an enclosure) above it.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Did not now any of that, thanks very much, will get on it today.

Comment

Be sure to study the Pompeii Oven plans (free on the Forno Bravo site) in close detail before you get too far into your planning. They contain a wealth of information and advice on design materials and techniques.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum!

Comment

As for fire clay, unless you are making your own high temp mortar, I would just start cutting your fire brick, you will get plenty of residue (fire clay) that you can use under your floor.

Comment

Working...
              X