advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice please

We are planning a 32" Pompei oven. So far we have acquired some high performance white insulating bricks , 42% alumina fire bricks and 4 large square 4 inch thick 42% alumina slabs.

Our plan is to use two layers of insulating bricks for the base, followed by the slabs. Build the dome with half firebricks and then another course of insulating bricks over the entire dome.

First of all does this sound feasible?

Would we need to use vermicrete to secure the insulating brick base?

Would vermicrete be appropriate to fix the insulating bricks over the firebrick dome and also as a final application to complete the domes outer layer?

What are the ratios of cement/sand /vermiculite, and is horticultural vermiculite appropriate.

Thanks in advance
    Jo

Re: advice please

Flooding the forum with the same question wont get an answer any quicker..

Its also considered bad forum etiquette.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi JO and welcome to the forum.
      Can I suggest as a 'newbie' that you use the search button on the heading of the forum page and type in a couple of words along the lines that you wish to persue.
      You will be surprised at the response that is already within the information bank.

Flooding the forum with the same question wont get an answer any quicker..
      brickie in oz is correct in what he says (but a little blunt), however, members don't like repeating the same answers over and over again.
      Be careful with your brick selection, research them as some have used the wrong brick with disasterous results, so by all means ask questions but also search out topics.
      I personally would not use insulating bricks, but vermiculite cement then use the insulation board (which is much more expensive and doesn't like getting wet) and also use the superwool insulating blanket over your dome firebricks.
      You might like to read through my build as a fair idea of what to do at minimal cost.

Cheers

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Im always blunt and to the point..

I had already answered the question as you did in another "forum" of Forno Bravo minutes before the flooding began.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/u...ete-15693.html

There are only do many times you can answer the same question.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and sorry for posting in different places, thought I would get a few different opinions as there seems to be many ways to do it.

Anyway, on to one of the questions.

Because we have managed to get so many high performance insulating bricks we wanted to use this in place of an insulating concrete slab for the base. So, the question is as we are using a double layer do we just dry lay these, secure them with cement/adhesive or alternatively use a band to stop them spreading?

Once the insulating base is in place do we use cement or adhesive to secure the hearth or dry lay this too.

If the answer is to use cement or adhesive what type should be used and is s the same mix used for all layers or is it necessary to use for example vermicrete for the insulating bricks and fire cement for the hearth.

Thanks everyone
          Jo

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin2 View Post
            Because we have managed to get so many high performance insulating bricks we wanted to use this in place of an insulating concrete slab for the base. So, the question is as we are using a double layer do we just dry lay these, secure them with cement/adhesive or alternatively use a band to stop them spreading?
            Yes.......................................

Once the insulating base is in place do we use cement or adhesive to secure the hearth or dry lay this too.
            Yes

If the answer is to use cement or adhesive what type should be used and is s the same mix used for all layers or is it necessary to use for example vermicrete for the insulating bricks and fire cement for the hearth.
            Yes

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Annoying, isnt it?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
              X