covering your oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• covering your oven?

Do you try and cover your oven when not in use? Mine is outdoors and I'm thinking about something to cover the chimney....but do you cover your oven when not in use to "keep it dry"? Mine is coated with cement so I'm just wondering...Jim
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: covering your oven?

Jim,

I built my oven as a freestanding building with a house-like roof and a portico. It's really necessary to keep the masonry as dry as possible, so I'd cover it in some way, perhaps with a shed roof. I haven't found it necessary to cover my chimney opening at the top, but that would depend entirely on the type of oven you have.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Re: covering your oven?

Thanks....my oven is nestled into the corner of a patio area outside between two concrete walls. I covered it with a double cement layer to shed the water. The only place water can enter the oven is the chimney or door area. If I cover the chimney I can keep the water out there. The small hearth area should not be too much of a problem since it's in the sun all the time but now I'm thining about something there as well to shed the water and keep it dry.
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
      X