Bendable Material/ Propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendable Material/ Propane

Can anyone tell me what type of bendable material they had used to make a rounded formation which sits at the mouth of the oven for their hearth/top slab?

I also seen a video where someone constructed their oven and added a propane kit to it. I assume would work well as a starter. What do I need to buy or look for to accomplish this.

Thank You

Michael

Re: Bendable Material/ Propane

I just poured a hearth yesterday and also put an arc in the front. My arc is about 5" from front to back. I'll post pictures to my thread tomorrow. I used a cement expansion board (like a heavy, pressed cardboard that is somewhat bendable) and placed a sheet of 6mm plastic between it to prevent the concrete from adhering to it. I put that on top of cement board and then cut it down to be the same height as the 2x6 form.

This project is my first experience pouring concrete, so there might be a more professional way, but what I've described appears to have worked pretty well for me. Good luck! Post some pics along the way.

Comment

Thanks m1mck,
      I think this will work fine for me too. ill be poring my first hearth myself soon and with some help from you i will now have an arc

thanks Mike

Comment

While I have not experimented with the use of gas/propane, the threads that I have read strongly suggest to be very careful if you decide to use one of these fuel sources. If your flame goes out and gas builds up within the dome, you could put in place all the elements for an unexpected and unwanted fire works display.

Comment

hey thanks for that, always good to be safe with some knowledge

Comment

Anything that bends makes a fine curved form. Quarter inch luan makes a good curve, with some backup so it doesn't bow out with the weight of the concrete.

It the official policy of Forno Bravo that gas burners in home ovens aren't safe. Please take all such discussions off line. Thanks.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thank you dmun, ill look into the luan.

Ive already ruled out the propane idea. You guys are right its not safe, Thank you again

Comment

Working...
              X