Modular units or ovens made from bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular units or ovens made from bricks

I am almost ready to order my kits but I'm between the modular unit and building on from scratch out of bricks the modular is defiantly eaisier but does the all brick oven retain heat better and is thrall brick oven a overall better oven and my other question is insulating blanket of using the vermiculite method vermiculite seams stronger but with one will retain heat better Please help thank you all Jason

Re: Modular units or ovens made from bricks

Heat retention depends on wall thickness and how well insulated the oven is. fibre blanket is a better insulator than vermiculite, but you can simply make the vermiculite layer thicker to achieve the same result.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

the modular is defiantly eaisier but does the all brick oven retain heat better and is thrall brick oven a overall better oven
      They're both good ovens. It's pretty much a time/money tradeoff. If you have the time, you won't regret building a brick oven. If you would rather be cooking than building, then the modular is the way to go if you have the money to do it.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

If you enjoy building things and learning new skills, go with the brick oven.

Otherwise, there is not much to choose between then in terms of performance.

Comment

Hi Jason79,

I have one of each type oven. The brick oven was labor intensive and challenging. Both ovens required about the same expense for concrete, cinder block, and enclosure components. dmun is correct about the time/money tradeoff. I like both of my ovens and even named the Pompeii oven "Archie".

Cheers,
          Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

I built a modular oven a few years ago - and am now half way through my Pompeii (brick) oven. I prefer the brick over the modular - but it's not all because of money . . .

Sure - you can save quite a bit building from bricks - but if your time is money - it might actually be more expensive to build from bricks (as is in my case).

That said - I wanted to do it just to say that "I built it." Sure - I said that with the modular oven - but I really don't think it was the same.

So - if you're not the kind of person who loves working with your hands and building things - then go for the modular. You'll be eating pizza much sooner. On the other hand - if you love to build things and get great joy from the sense of accomplishment - build it from brick.

If you are the latter - and buy modular - you'll probably regret it a few years from now and end up building one out of brick anyway - might as well just do it now.

Comment

Working...
            X