Blanket Deteriorating in Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blanket Deteriorating in Rain

Hi, I have been searching the FB forum for topics about how to deal with a soaked oven after a spell of rain with poor waterproofing. Lots of posters said that while it is a pain, a soaked oven can be rectified with a few steady fires. Is it the case that the insulation blankets can be soaked and dried out numerous times or will they deteriorate pretty quickly?

I am going to use this Rockwool 159 blanket. This blanket resists temperatures up to 1200F and absorbs water at less than 1 kg/m? (not sure if the water absorption rate is good or bad).

Cheers,

LEAO
    www.leon.cat

Re: Blanket Deteriorating in Rain

If your waterproofing is bad enough to let water in, it's got enough gaps to let water vapor out. Go with low and slow fires, and your insulation will dry.

You might want to consider an enclosure to keep your oven dry enough so this doesn't happen.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Leao View Post
      Hi, I have been searching the FB forum for topics about how to deal with a soaked oven after a spell of rain with poor waterproofing.
      I'm confused. If you haven't put the blanket on yet, why are you worried about the affects of water? If you do a good job - it's a non issue. I would worry more about burning your food.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
        I'm confused. If you haven't put the blanket on yet, why are you worried about the affects of water? If you do a good job - it's a non issue. I would worry more about burning your food.
        The oven is outside and I'm not planning to put a roof over it. It doesn't rain much here in Andalusia but if the tarpaulin isn't on it by mistake the blanket may get wet as I have a rock exterior and only artlita/cement/lime protecting the blanket. If it gets wet every now and then and I just have to dry it out with a few steady fires it's not a great problem unless the Rockwool blanket will start deteriorating due to exposure to water. It says in the Spanish spec for the blanket that the blanket "doesn't retain water as the blanket doesn't have a capillary structure", so that sounds like it will help somewhat.

Thanks for your time & patience, you lot are a real Godsend,

leao
        www.leon.cat

Comment

Working...
        X