New Pompei Oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pompei Oven build

Hi all, I have been reading and learning about how to go about building my very own pizza oven for a quite a while now. I decided a few weeks ago that it was time for me to begin my own oven build. I have learnt so much from the questions and answers from other newbie builders and the more experienced forum members. I have decided on a 42" pompei oven and I am about to complete the last couple of rows of the igloo in the next few days. I would like to know if anyone has any opinions on whether or not I should add a couple of inches of mortar over the completed igloo. Are there any real advantages to doing this or I should I just proceed to insulate the oven with insulation blankets etc. Appreciate any advice. I will post photos soon.

Re: New Pompei Oven build

More mortar = more mass. More mass = more heat storage for bread or for cooking on out to 96 hours after firing the oven -roasts, birds, piglets, etc.. More mass takes more wood and time to bring to cooking temperature. So, its optional unless you have a plan to cook for days after the initial firing. HTH
    Last edited by Lburou; 02-02-2012, 07:33 AM. Reason: Oops, I just realized this thread is a year old ;)
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: New Pompei Oven build

Sorry I posted on the wrong thread..
      Post withdrawn..

Chris
      Last edited by SCChris; 02-02-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X