Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first pizza in the 'not going to work', too small - born out of ignorance - oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first pizza in the 'not going to work', too small - born out of ignorance - oven

It worked!

I am sure that it's 50% due to the oven and 50% due to the fact that we're Italians. Not the classical Italians you find in Cali" I just moved three years ago and my bro.. well, he's visiting for the summer!

I got some Caputo and the recipe is the classic napoletana by Reinhart.

900F (or maybe more?) perfect pizzas all night, what a wonderful feeling!

We made them very small just to practice handling and turning in the oven, but that was not really necessary. Next time, full size!

Thanks for your support!
    Born in Italy, making pizza in San Diego

Re: first pizza in the 'not going to work', too small - born out of ignorance - oven

Nice job! Your oven entry is very low; it must hold the heat well. Congrats

Comment

Re: first pizza in the 'not going to work', too small - born out of ignorance - oven

Small ovens are great, they use very little fuel therefore you use them more often and are easy to manage with tools that don't require huge long handles.If you need more space try removing some of the coals, but do try to maintain a fire on the side. Most WFO owners only cook one pizza at a time anyway, even if their ovens are huge, because it takes way longer to prepare them than it does to cook them. What is your ovens int. diam?
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

That ovens NEVER gonna work! It's too small and born of ignorance!

Just kidding of course, in the end you listened to the advice you were given, made good decisions, and now should have tons of fun with your little oven. Maybe one day you can challenge David as king of the small oven, lol. Congrats!

Comment

yeah!

we're having our second pizza binge tomorrow.. I wonder how many firing I need to consider the cracking of the outer layer final.. it would suck to see it falling apart in front of all the guests!

True thing, it's very hard to keep up with the prep station, it would be very hard even for two people to keep three pizzas cooking at the time!

The internal diameter should be 28" minus the size of the bricks! Around 22" I guess, but - it is true, I did not mesure anything before starting: even the ratio dome:door was measured once I removed the sand (and happened to be 62%..)

The advices I got on the forum were VITAL to this project, and I already feel like starting the next one - I am quite sad I did not decide to put this on wheels from the beginning. And insulate much more. eheh

For tomorrow I have 6lb of low hydration Caputo and 2lb of really wet Caputo.. we'll see what the difference is!

The attached image is the result of cooking one with just charcoal. Being Italian I would call that a northern pizza, opposed to the clearly southern pizza with the big fluffy crust.

This is all so amazing.
          Born in Italy, making pizza in San Diego

Comment

Working...
          X