Using fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using fans

Hello. I am starting to build my second oven for my small pizzeria.

I am planning to built it in the corner of the second floor (kitchen). Here at the end of the oven will end there is a window. We allready have moved out the glass to get more air motion inside. Now I want to "box-in" my oven with walls untill the roof so it is in a seperate room. I want to work with fans to get the hot air out, not heating the walls. The fan can be put inside "the box" or placed it in a hole in the wall to suck colder air from the kitchen ?

Anyone here has experience with air-distribution in this form ?

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Re: Using fans

All things being equal I would opt for a passive solution rather than mechanical one involving fans.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking that maybe opt.2 would improve the all-round temperature in the kitchen. I live in a tropical country and I will try hard to minimize the oven heating the kitchen. With 1 or 2 exhaust fans the air will move fast (hopefully outwards through the window) and there is less change heating the walls.

Passive solutions seems to me that there is a downside when using the oven for long hours (12+ hrs daily) and its fragile when it comes to cracks.

Comment

We also live in the tropics. I understand why you'd be wanting fans.The WFO novelty will wear off pretty quickly standing in front of a hot oven for two hours every day during the summer.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I do work in air distribution. In my opinion both options are wrong. You would want the fan at the back of the oven enclosure away from the building. You would then want inlets at the front of the enclosure on the sides so air can enter there and exit out the back through the fan. If you do this you are gonna have to insulate over the dome with vermicrete or perlcrete IMHO. with loose fill the air could possibly cool the oven dome, which would be a bad thing. With ceramic fiber you risk the air taking the fibers with it and eventually(years) having no insulation left. I know it sounds crazy but they used to make duct work our of a fiber with a foil lining on the outside. If you go demo that duct years later you will find only foil. The air carries the fiber away a bit at a time. Perlcrete of Vermicrete would not suffer either of these issues.

Fist and foremost I would peronally set the oven back from the wall a bit and insulate the entire front of the oven enclosure right up to the roof. That should help as a passive method alone.

Comment

Stick one of these on top.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If you are at all worried about the vermiculite or perlite moving around under any kind of draft, you can make weak 12:1 vermiculite/Portland concrete. This will stay in place.

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Originally posted by shuboyje View Post
                I do work in air distribution. In my opinion both options are wrong. You would want the fan at the back of the oven enclosure away from the building. You would then want inlets at the front of the enclosure on the sides so air can enter there and exit out the back through the fan. If you do this you are gonna have to insulate over the dome with vermicrete or perlcrete IMHO. with loose fill the air could possibly cool the oven dome, which would be a bad thing. With ceramic fiber you risk the air taking the fibers with it and eventually(years) having no insulation left. I know it sounds crazy but they used to make duct work our of a fiber with a foil lining on the outside. If you go demo that duct years later you will find only foil. The air carries the fiber away a bit at a time. Perlcrete of Vermicrete would not suffer either of these issues.

Fist and foremost I would peronally set the oven back from the wall a bit and insulate the entire front of the oven enclosure right up to the roof. That should help as a passive method alone.
                Yes the walls are going to be up untill the roof and I am going to use hollow bricks to improve passive isolation. But I am afraid there will be spots where the heat will build-up during the long hours and pass through. For preventing this I thought of helping the air-circulation with fans or extractor.

What do you think of the turbine-roof-ventilator ?

I included some pictures, here you can see the base for the oven (1.60x1.40m) that is allready done. Its around 15 cm from both walls. And for the window, remember all glass is out.

Also I made a draft of the suggestions you mentioned, with the fan in the window (extracting) and inlet(s) at the front wall. Doesn't the fan loses alot of potential if it isn't closed in ? (the window being far bigger).

Thanks alot for sharing your expertise, its a real help.

Comment

Working...
                X