Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven on Wheels

Hi ALL!

Now that my are-you-kidding oven is performing like a champ and I keep hearing 'oh my G! this is the best pizza I ever had in my life' from all my friends in SD, it's time for me to build another one - this time on wheels - and become a street food vendor, on the side of my software engineering job!

Now I understand it's pretty easy to build a pomp on a single or double axel cart, but what about doing something a little bit unique? Like trying to nest the oven in a VolksWagen minivan?

Before I get in trouble, what would you think the first challenges / issue could be?
    Born in Italy, making pizza in San Diego

Re: Oven on Wheels

I found the *wheels*

Comment

And I found the *oven* (I decided I am not going to down the DIY path with risk of structural failure, fire, death!)

Comment

If I were doing it I think I'd mount the oven as low as possible so the centre of gravity is low for better handling when driving and work the oven standing in the street with an awning off the side to keep off the weather. This would also prevent the oven from cooking the operator inside the van.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

"Like trying to nest the oven in a VolksWagen minivan? "

You will kill the thing. Your oven is likely to be in the 1000-1500 lb range.

Because of the weight, most portable oven are built on a double axel trailer.

Comment

niet!

the stainless steel from alfarefrattari (Forni per la casa - Forni pronti su ruote - Alfapizza) is 150kg (~300lb) ready to use!

once I'm sure it fits...

Comment

I'd talk to people who've actually used that unit before springing the big bucks. WFO's work on mass: no mass = radically different results than what you're used to.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

My 21" mobile oven is about 170 Kgs, travels well on a single axle, but works best maintaining a small fire on the side once up to temp, cooking 90 sec to 2 min 9" pizzas one at a time. Can go all night cooking like this.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Mekdigital,

Did you ever purchase that oven from Alfa? whether you have or haven't - how much does an oven like the one you reference cost? How hot will the floor and dome get?

thanks,

max

Comment

Hi,

I did not get the '4 pizze', the cost in the US is pretty high (3500) _ I am trying to figure out if it can be used or not at a farmer's market and for catering...

The floor will easily and quickly get to 900F, I don't know about the steel dome...

I believe Alfarefrattari knows how to engineer great contemporary ovens, they make and sell an incredible amount... I wish I could go see one in action, but that will only happen when I travel back to Italy!

Comment

Does anyone have a set of plans for a mobile pizza oven for a two axel trailer? I spoke with a couple of vendors and they are pricey so I am thinking about building one myself. I am looking to build one to go to festivals. Trying to make some extra money. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X