Chimeny, chim chim cher-oo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimeny, chim chim cher-oo

I was planning on a clay flue but i have an opening about 21" x 3.5". Should I close this down and use a clay flue or insulated flue pipe with a rectangular reducer? I will have a brick or concrete board enclosure with stone on the outside of chimney.

Re: Chimeny, chim chim cher-oo

when I look at the gallery I see some of the ovens that look like the door when in place will be on the fire side of the vent and some that look like the door is on the other side. which should it be?

Comment

remeasured opening. it is 18" x 4"

Comment

For those of us who want to bake with residual heat, its best ot have the door blocking all airflow .. as you desribed.. "on the fire side".. otherwise the flue will suck out all the heat.

Chimney design is really a personal taste, i opted for a custom stainless spigot .. square base and round fitting.. look at some builds.. its all personal taste.

Comment

Since I am not willing to tear out the chimney and entry, I think I am going to try a deep door to block most of the heat loss. Do over moment...chimney about 8" toward the front. My hindsight is AWESOME!

Comment

I think I am going to try a deep door to block most of the heat loss
            Bill,

I think you want to block ALL of the heat loss. Try to configure a door that fits snugly against the reveal and behind the flue. An 18"x4" vent opening should be easily amended into a flue gallery that will accomodate a clay flue pipe, IMO.
            John

Comment

what do you mean a "flue gallery"?

Comment

I understand a flue gallery to be the geometrically-shaped void that begins with the vent and funnels oven exhaust upwards directly and terminates with the flue pipe.

Comment

How tall do you suggest?

Comment

Llast night I set a new 9"x9" flue liner on top of my short chimney. It was not mortared or bricked in. I cooked 5-6 pizzas and noticed the flue liner had a long 24" vertical crack. There were many other smaller cracks either horizontal or diagonal. The people at the supplier thought it was strange but were not alarmed. One did say in a house it would be a no-no but outside in your oven...
                    I decided to keep it. I am in the process of using clay multi holed bricks to form up a surround with about 2" between it and the liner. I am going to use a 10:1 or 12:1 vermicrete in the gap. Then I will continue my steel stud enclosure and stone it. Using regular mortar on the clays since there is a gap which will be insulated. I did set the liner in refractory mortar and put 2 fire bricks on either side also in the ref mortar.

Comment

update: I did an ugly false chimney surround around my 9" x 9" flue. I filled that with a vermicrete mix ( I think it was 10:1). Due to issues of the roof intersecting with some decorative stone shelves, I raised the roof a total of 4.5". This necessitated adding another flue to get the proper height above the roofline. So I bought a 13" x 13" liner and set in over the 9 x 9. It covered about 4" of the top of the smaller one. I used flue cement to join them. I have not finished the rest of the chimney, but had a huge party last night. As I fired up the oven, the damned flue cracked badly. I mean "see the blue sky thru the crack" bad. QUESTION: did it crack because I heated it too fast or because it was not mortared in except for the 4" overlap?

Comment

Another update: I inserted an 8" steel flue for a wood stove in and resteed it on the 9" x 9" clay flue. I cut it to be about 3/4" higher than the 13"x13' that it is inside of. I then used a 12:1 vermicrete mix between the flue and the 13"x13" outer clay flue. This is the bomb! Even at oven clearing temps the crack showed no increase and the outside of the flue stayed about 120F. Should be less after the water is driven off.

Comment

. QUESTION: did it crack because I heated it too fast or because it was not mortared in except for the 4" overlap?[/QUOTE]

By the sound of your description the larger flue was not surrounded by vermicrete. This would mean that when heated there is a big difference in the inside and outside temps. which will create cracking. The insulated flue is more likely to have its temperature more evenly regulated (provided its dry) and therefore should not crack. Your procedure with the inner steel flue sounds like a reasonable solution.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                          X