Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in Victoria

Hi all,

New to the forums and already loving them! Ive scoured and sourced and am just about ready to start my build, however I ask for a little bit of help. The Forno Bravo plans and common sense say to check with local council about regulations regarding building a wood fired oven, however, when I asked my local council, in inner suburban Melb., they had no idea about specific regualtions for a woodfired oven, and even went as far to say that any such structure would be illegal Now, I put this down to possibly speaking to the wrong person on the wrong day, as I'm sure others have had more helpful advice from their local councils.

As is my brief understanding of building codes in Victoria, there is not much discrepancey form council to council in terms of regulations, mainly just in how they are enforced. As I am reluctant to ask many more questions form my local council for fear they actually do deem it illegal, I am wondering if any other folks in Melbourne or Victoria have had better luck getting council advice.

Any help from any municipality would be great, as I'm more than happy take any info provided, along with the building code of Victoria, and my Barrister girlfriend, (if the need arise ) for the adivce on any council regs on wood fired ovens. Surely they can't be illegal.

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo

Re: Need help in Victoria

Jimbo:

Try telling the building department that it is an outdoor fireplace or outdoor barbecue pit and see what they say. Don't use the word "structure" in your discussions with them because "structure" has a particular meaning in zoning, planning, and permitting. Around here, a project that does not involve a "structure" doesn't require a permit.

Comment

The first mistake you made was talking to someone on the council, half of them wouldnt know what country they were in if it wasnt written down for them.

I have also searched the regs and building codes, I have been in the building game in Melb for over 40 years and can find nothing on WFO's, I would think the same regs would apply as to wood BBQ"s, ie, dont light them on total fire ban bays, and why would you anyway.

Properly built with lots of insulation the only problem that may be encountered is sparks coming out of the top of the flue which would be minimal with Aus hardwood.

The oven's outer skin wont get hot if you use the proper amount of insulation, my oven gets about 20c above ambient after a pizza party which is far cooler than a wood BBQ would get.

Smoke can almost be eliminated with good dry firewood, so that shouldnt be a problem either.

Then there is always VCAT if you ever get some over zealous official, most cases brought to VCAT go in the house owners favour.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thats exaclty what I thought. Past experiences with the council have led me to not ever want to deal with them again, hence me not wanting to go much further, other than asking annonymous questions of them.

You are quite right from my research about the building code, and I also have it on file, name, time etc of certain council officials who have told me they know nothing about WFO and it isnt an issue, so you are right that if it goes anywhere near VCAT, the argument is on my side.

No offense to anyone in local councils, but it is true, they are more harm than good.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          The first mistake you made was talking to someone on the council, half of them wouldnt know what country they were in if it wasnt written down for them.

I have also searched the regs and building codes, I have been in the building game in Melb for over 40 years and can find nothing on WFO's, I would think the same regs would apply as to wood BBQ"s, ie, dont light them on total fire ban bays, and why would you anyway.

Properly built with lots of insulation the only problem that may be encountered is sparks coming out of the top of the flue which would be minimal with Aus hardwood.

The oven's outer skin wont get hot if you use the proper amount of insulation, my oven gets about 20c above ambient after a pizza party which is far cooler than a wood BBQ would get.

Smoke can almost be eliminated with good dry firewood, so that shouldnt be a problem either.

Then there is always VCAT if you ever get some over zealous official, most cases brought to VCAT go in the house owners favour.

Absolutely, dont tell them a damn thing! If they ever get wind of what's out there they'll slap another permit/fee on all WFO claiming it's a fire levy or some crap along those lines!
          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Thanks guys,

You have pretty much confirmed everything I was thinking already. I will certainly not be asking any more questions of the council. Its just easier that way.

On a bit of a side not tho, but still council related:

A great piece of advice I was given when dealing with councils, always, ALWAYS leave some piece of information off of what they need and ask you for initially, as they are guaranteed to come back and ask for something more, its just how they work,and if you know what it is and have it ready to go, it speeds it up (hopefully).

It's called playing them at their own game

Comment

You sure got to love the bureaucratic busy bodies... We have them here also but yours seem to grow on all of the greenie trees. Sooner or later they will start saying trees are not a renewable resource and say you cannot burn wood. Oh BTW ... Good Luck!.

Chip
              Last edited by mrchipster; 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM.
              Chip

Comment

Here is your answer from our council Whittlesea, they are ball breakers too BTW.
                Down the bottom, Wood Heater.

The code should be Aus wide as the building code is supposed to be Aus wide.

Do I need a building permit?
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Jimbo, How is your oven going
                  What size did you buy, is it installed & working ok now ?
                  I have a Casa2G90 on order, can't wait to get started on it..

regards
                  Phil, Yarra Valley, Victoria.

Comment

Working...
                  X