Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dough not rising

Hi All:

I am new to making pizzas, I have a Mario Batali Oven, I only used 3 times.
    So far the best recipe I found was fromm this forums' pizza PDF download with the "auotlyse" method. I am using Caputo flour and following the recipe by weight. Except the yeast which I can't weight being only 3 grams.

I have a couple of questions

1- I can't seem to get the dough to rise (I think it's supposed to) the pizzas come out great anyway.

2- The recipe does not say anything about "proofing" the yeast if that is the correct term for putting the yeast in warm water (100 F) or so to let it bubble. So I am not doing it.

3- I have a very hard time trying to stretch the pizza dough, and I don't want to use the rolling pin so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Gualex

Re: Dough not rising

First, use INSTANT yeast. If you are using regular dry active yeast, it needs to be proofed. Instant does not. 3 grams is a bit more than a teaspoon. A teaspoon is close enough.

IMO Caputo needs to be balled before the autolyse so it can relax before forming pies. AP is more cooperative! If you are having too much trouble with the Caputo even with the early balling you may need to raise the hydration 4 or 5 percent.

Good Luck!
    Jay

Comment

I will second everthing Jay has said and also add that if you refrigerate your Caputo several hrs or overnight, give it plenty of time to reach room temps, around 2 hrs, not just 1 hr that I have seen mentioned, The extra time really relaxes the dough and makes workability much better. When I am in a hurry I use a 60% Caputo 40% AP blend that works realy well. you can make it and be usable within 1hr -1 1/2 hr. it gives you the ease of workability fron the AP and the finished crust of the Caputo. anything more than 40% ap tends to get a bit too chared at 750+degrees unless you are very carefull.
      RT

Comment

My method.
        Dont forget that Im a bricklayer and as such am a heathen regards bread making, but it works for me ........

250 grams flour. (or multiples)
        All other ingredients are per 250 grams of flour.
        1 teaspoon dry yeast. (best stored in the freezer for longer life)
        1 teaspoon sugar.
        1/2 teaspoon powdered milk.
        1/2 teaspoon salt.
        1/2 teaspoon veggie oil.
        Luke warm water, 160 grams which is equal to 65% hydration.

Hot water will kill the yeast.

Mixing Method.
        Combine all the dry ingredients and the oil in a bowl, slowly add the warm water and mix with a dough spiral until a dough is formed. (the hydration of the dough all depends on the type of bread you are making)
        A typical bread made from white bread flour will have a hydration around 65% (meaning 65 grams of water for every 100 grams of flour in the bread)
        The dough should be mixed for at least 10 minutes for the gluten to form, its the gluten that give bread its structure.
        Place mixed dough in a warm place, this is to encourage the yeast to do its thing, this should take about 1 hour for the dough to double in size.
        The yeast will still do its thing if the dough is placed in the fridge, it just takes longer.
        Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-05-2012, 11:13 PM.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Modern commercial yeasts, whatever the type are pretty forgiving. If it doesn't rise at all, you may have old or dead yeast. Try finding a commercial source that sells a lot of yeast. Here's the news, most supermarket patrons don't bake, their yeast may be WAY old. And instant yeast is the way to go. It costs more but you use less.

This is what I use, never had a problem with it.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks All for the tips I will follow the different methods and see what works for me.
            I assume AP is regular All purpose flour?

Thanks!!

Gualex

Comment

Working...
            X