Corner Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner Build

Hi , My partner and i are just about to proceed with a building of the Pizza oven, we are building a 36" internal Diameter oven. It will be into a corner position. following the plans i have downloaded the corner configuration does not seem to add up to my small brain! 36internal diameter + 9" for the brick thickness + 6" insulation = 51 " external, why are the diagram for corner plans showing 40, 43.5 or 49" external, i am sure its quite a simple reason but would be grateful for some help. Thanks

Re: Corner Build

Welcome

You will find a good corner build here. Hopefully, it will answer some of your questions. Good Luck!
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I also stressed about some of the numbers "not adding up" when I was designing my corner build. I think you will always want to give yourself a bit more room than just the numbers dictate (and definitely more than somebody else's numbers add up). For instance when I added up all my dimensions on the oven, I really didn't think about my access to the back or sides. After all you don't go back there after it's finished...right?...wrong! Putting in the forms for the oven facade was a trauma and when I started to put plywood on the inside of my cover structure I couldn't get my drill in place...oh, bother! Cleaning up the dust bunnies behind is a bit tougher when you can't actually get back there...

If I did this again I'd add up the numbers for the top platform and then make it an extra foot wider and then make sure I had a couple feet of space all around the back of the oven base/platform so I would have access.

I would also suggest that actually putting "corner bricks" in place where you are going to build the oven helps visualize some of those little "gotchas" that you don't see with just numbers. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mike

I forgot about your excellent corner build! I'm glad you popped in to share your experiences, I must have been having a 'Senior Moment.'
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I benefitted greatly from mocking my oven up in the free graphic software SketchUp. It allowed me to work from the center of the oven out, and chart each and every dimension prior to even breaking ground. Of course, I took the liberty of being a true male and implementing modifications each step of the way, but it was easy to see and understand the impact any change would make prior to doing it.

Take the FB plans with a grain of salt. They should be used as a general guideline to building your oven. Most likely you will incorporate design/feature changes into your build to suit your application and external factors. Once your preliminary design is complete, as long as you don't change the numbers drastically, your dimensions will be known and can be relied on.

John

Comment

Originally posted by THE CHALLENGER View Post
            + 9" for the brick thickness
            Why so thick?
            You will be forever feeding it fuel.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Al,

4.5" x 2 = 9"

Comment

Thank you for the help, i will keep you posted as to how i get on and will need more help for sure. Fire Bricks arriving tomorrow, can these be kept out in very cold conditions or should they be protected from extreme cold ?

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
                I also stressed about some of the numbers "not adding up" when I was designing my corner build. I think you will always want to give yourself a bit more room than just the numbers dictate (and definitely more than somebody else's numbers add up). For instance when I added up all my dimensions on the oven, I really didn't think about my access to the back or sides. After all you don't go back there after it's finished...right?...wrong! Putting in the forms for the oven facade was a trauma and when I started to put plywood on the inside of my cover structure I couldn't get my drill in place...oh, bother! Cleaning up the dust bunnies behind is a bit tougher when you can't actually get back there...

If I did this again I'd add up the numbers for the top platform and then make it an extra foot wider and then make sure I had a couple feet of space all around the back of the oven base/platform so I would have access.

I would also suggest that actually putting "corner bricks" in place where you are going to build the oven helps visualize some of those little "gotchas" that you don't see with just numbers. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by THE CHALLENGER View Post
                  Thank you for the help, i will keep you posted as to how i get on and will need more help for sure. Fire Bricks arriving tomorrow, can these be kept out in very cold conditions or should they be protected from extreme cold ?
                  Yes, they will stand the cold, just keep them dry.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                    Al,

4.5" x 2 = 9"
                    Welll golllly, ya learn something every day.

I thought the walls were going to 9" thick
                    Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-31-2012, 09:49 PM.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                    X