X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oven Build in SC

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Videt,

Sure like the way the smoke is tracking up your nice vent brick work.

Follow David's advice and cure oven so black soot has cleared all the way to the floor. You might have to move the fire around to accomplish.
    Thanks guys, I owe that to stonecutter, I would have had it closed up by one brick on both sides if he didn't suggest opening it up during the build. So a big thanks to the recommendation.

Last night was an exceptionally good night. Had the same fire size that I've had for the last few burns but after 2hrs and 40mins. had quite the surprise at the peak of the dome(1st pic), it started clearing!!, then after another 20 mins. a little more (2nd pic)! I have to say I was happy to see the clearing. Unfortunately I had to start letting the fire die out at that time, had to get thing cleaned up. So at least now I'm comfortable about the fires driving the moisture out and this weekend with a little more time on my hands I'll be able to sustain the fire and move it around a bit (as suggested) to get a completely cleared dome.

And to boot I received my Caputo 00 flour the other day so I'll prep some dough the day before and let the festivities begin!!

Then back to work sealing it up.

Comment

Finally was able to clear the entire dome of the black carbon last night. Made a decent fire for about 1+hrs then slowly added wood to crank it up a little. Then after the top of the dome started to clear (go white) I started to move the fire around as suggested till the entire dome was nice and white!!
      Hopefully there will be no noticeable damage (cracks). I'll give it a good inspection once cooled.
      Now this week I'll put on a skim coat over the ceramic blanket then a couple of inches of vermiculite/Portland cement for the final insulation.
      I went and selected my field stone yesterday that will be used for the final outside of the dome and the base!! That's going to be delivered Friday this week. So I'll get started on the base while the vermiculite/Portland cement is drying out.

Does anybody know or have suggestions on how long to wait after putting on the vermiculite/Portland cement before sealing up the dome? I would imagine there is a period time for drying out.
      Also is there a recommended ratio for the vermiculite to Portland cement? I've seen everything from 5:1 to 12:1!

Steven

Comment

For the vermicrete insulation layer over your dome you want it as lean as possible because more cement simply reduces the insulating capacity. Too little cement makes the mix more difficult to apply. I use a 10:1 mix which goes on ok. The drying depends on how thick you make the layer and the weather conditions after its application. I make it around 35 mm thick and leave it for a week.

I'm assuming here that you are applying it over blanket and that you are doing an igloo style.
        Last edited by david s; 05-20-2014, 01:40 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the info David S, appreciate the input. I'll use the 10:1 mix.
          Yes, I'm using it over an igloo style WFO. I'm planning approximately 2" overall then a fieldstone exterior with a sealer.
          I'm pretty happy with the heat retention, fired it the night before last and still have 350 deg. this morning and had 500+ yesterday morning.
          I'm anticipating a lot of WFO cooking going on in the near future!

Comment

Whew!! Another step complete!! Finished up the vermiculite/Portland cement insulating layer last night!! Went on fairly easy. Had to be kind of delicate with the mixture though. Applied it approximately 2" thick (for a total of 5" of insulation on the outside) Tried to use as little water as possible so the mixture of 10:1 was very crumbly and I also fashioned a curved trowel from the oven WFO OD to help maintain some of the curvature of the dome. I also did it over a 3 day period to let the previous 18" up the sides set up a bit to hold the following layer. Now I need to let it dry for a week or so before the final layer of stone!! Can't wait!!!
            Meanwhile, my fieldstone for the base is here so I will try my hand at that at another unknown!!

Comment

2 YEARS, 6 MONTHS, 12 DAYS- 925 DAYS!!
              FINALLY HAVE THE TARPS OFF!!
              I finally was able to seal the stone and mortar this weekend!
              I stiill plan to put a tile around the concrete layer under the counters, skim coat the inside of the wood storage and build a patio in front of the oven
              BUT I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE THE DAMN TARP ON IT ANY MORE!
              Meanwhile the pizza that has been coming out has been pretty damn good.

Comment

Congratulations. Looks really good. You must be happy with the result.

The pizza looks good as well!
                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by videts38 View Post
                  2 YEARS, 6 MONTHS, 12 DAYS- 925 DAYS!!
                  Vidget,
                  Great job, awesome stone work. I really like your counters too............ I feel you pain buddy, I'm past the two year mark also.........The long journey is well worth it though, it is great to sit back and enjoy.

Funny tonight was the first time I come across your thread. Another hidden treasure................. Congratulation
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build
                  Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Thanks guys!
                    Yes, for not being a mason, I'm very happy the way it came out. I surprised myself and my wife. lol
                    Now comes the fun part of discovering the foods I can create out of it. I'm so looking forward to the exploits of pizza, breads and beyond.
                    I've already been using the reserve heat for slow cooking days after the pizza fire. It maintains a great cooking temp for 4-5 days. For a pizza firing I'll do a good slow soak to get to temp (because it gives me an excuse to stay outside and play with fire!), then the following day I'm still at 500-600 then it drops approximately a 125F a day or less.
                    Now to uncover some of the great recipes that I've been reading on this blog for the last couple of years. Then after a couple months I'll get to the patio in front

Comment

Exceptional oven you have there! I appreciate too that you have incorporated heat brakes and the oven arch with a slant cut to the back of the brick as it articulates with the dome.
                      Lee B.
                      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Really nice build. I'm sure that now your the neighborhood's main attraction --"will you make pizza for us?"
                        Link to my build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                        https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Cool build
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Very nice finish. I remember your build starting back when i was still spitting brick dust. you are gonna love the oven. Not to add to your aching back, but any plans for paving/deck or other in front of the oven? sure would look nice.

Texman
                            Texman Kitchen
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

• Originally posted by videts38 View Post
                              Re: Oven Build in SC

Well, finally back at it and made some progress over the Christmas holiday!!
                              After a spell of wet and cold weather it feels good to get back to my little project. After cutting a few bricks bass ackwards. I'm finding it takes some time and thought to cut these bricks correctly. I'm up to the fourth course and things are going to start getting a little trickier. I'm finding I can't cut as many and drystack them with out some sliding so I think I'm at the point where I cut three or four and mortar them in. Unfortunately vacation time is over and now I will only have the weekends with good weather to get any work done. I had thought I would have been starting some curing fires by now but...... Oh well, I'm now shooting for Easter!!! providing it's not too cold to get some mortaring of the bricks done.
                              VIDETS THE DOME LOOKS AMAZING, I JUST STARTED MY BUILD AND LOOKING AROUND FOR FIREBRICK NOW. MY QUESTION FOR YOU IS HOW DID YOU FIGURE OUT THE CHEEK CUTS ON YOUR DOME BRICKS, THEY LOOK TIGHT AND PERFECT NEXT TO EACHOTHER. THANKS
                              IVAN

Comment

Working...
                              X