Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Build in SC

Hello All,
    I'm presently in the planning and gathering stage of building the 42" Pompeii
    style oven. I'm closing in on the start date and am nearly complete with ordering the basic building supplies needed. And I am excited to get started and already have a question on the materials.
    For the refractory motar on the oven I've run across a product (from a refractory supply house) called Sairbond, does or has anybody used this product? I question it because it's only $10 for 55lbs. It seems like a good idea because it's already a premix (and inexpensive) but was not sure compared to the homebrew (1-3-1-1) talked about on this forum, The other question, which would be the wiser move? I appreciate anybodys input on this.
    Thanks and I look forward to posting my progress and listening to everybodies comments and advise.

P.S. I've been reading through this forum for about the last month plus using everyones ideas and experiences to hopefully make mine as painless as possible. I'm like addicted to this forum and am so ready to move on to the build!!

Re: Oven Build in SC

If this Sairbond is what you are referring to, yes it will work and $10 is more like the typical price for a 5 pound bag, not a 55 pound bag. Buy 2 or 3 bags, as if that price is for real it is probably mismarked!
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Videts,

Welcome to the site. You've come to the right place for advice and encouragement. Just remember to ask lotsa questions, post lotsa pics, and insulate, insulate, insulate!

Regarding Sairbond, just make sure the mortar you buy is not water-soluable.

I purchased a bag of Sairbond from Harbison-Walker (ANH Refractories) in Los Angeles. The sales manager confirmed this product would be ideal for a WFO. I decided to use some of the mortar on a firepit first, and am glad I did. Once completed, even though the exposed firepit was covered with a tarp, the humidity from the first rain caused the mortar to crumble like popcorn and fall out of the joints.

I recommend building your oven with homebrew, because it is really inexpensive, easy to work with, and dries diamond-hard. Here's a thread that discusses mortar options.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/...tar-17342.html

Good luck,

John

Comment

John
        Voice of experience! Glad you weighed in. I have not used Sairbond, was just looking at specs!
        Dennis
        My build progress

Comment

Welcome Videts,

I'm just north of Columbia. Drop me a PM if you need local info, etc.

I used premixed mortar with fireclay added. Forgot the ratio, but purchased the fireclay in Columbia from two different places. Boral Brick on US1 and I-20 has it as well as a huge brickyard (forgot the name) on Sparkleberry and Two-Notch Rd. I used 2.5 bags @ $20 each plus the premixed mortar.

If I can be of assistance, let me know.
          CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

I'd go with homebrew. I did my own oven with local brand refractory mortar and it worked alright. The only thing is that it only allowed really thin joints (like this sairbond seems to do), so it was a big job to cut out all the bricks with angle grinder.

Comment

Thanks all for the response and the info on the Sairbond. And from reading the responses, homebrew for the mortar would seem like the sure way to go.
              Now for my next question, I wanted a larger tile than the standard firebrick for the oven floor if possible. At the refractory supply house (Larkin Refractory Supplies, Ga.) that I am ordering my brick, insulation and fireclay from they only have the "high duty" tiles in 12"x12" for approx. $20 a piece. The knowledgeable one there stated they would not be a problem but from reading various threads on this forum, some have stated they will be burning the bottom of the pies or loafs of bread before the rest is properly cooked. Has anybody heard or know how these "High Duty" firebrick tiles will respond? I have found some "Medium Duty" from Buckley Rumford Company
              for just a little more (additional $7 per tile and $100 in shipping) but kind of just wanted to do one stop shopping if possible. I might be getting a little ahead of myself with worrying but I?m just trying to get the best materials possible for the end result?properly cooked pizza and bread!!

I've pulled the trigger on this endeavor and have begun the ordering of the supplies for the build!! (foundation and stand, etc). I'm as nervous as I am excited about this. Not having any experience in any masonry projects, it will be a test! But if it comes out half as good as some I have seen on this site I would be mighty proud!! And as soon as I get to "diggin", I will be sharing the progress with pics and many, many more questions.

Thanks All,
              Steven

Comment

great question, I am in the same boat with "high duty" firebrick, I have both 12" x 36" x 2" thick tiles and 9" x 4.5" x 2.5" firebrick. Will either of these work for the hearth?

Comment

Can anyone comment on what is the better for the hearth insulator, the FB Board or insulating firebricks?
                  Thanks,
                  Steven
                  Last edited by videts38; 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Steven,
                    Insulating firebricks have approximately the same value as vermicrete but are much more expensive. It takes 4" of vermicrete to get the same insulating value as 2" of fiber board. You might want to source board locally since you're on the east coast.

Comment

Thanks John, but for the same amount of area the 2" FB board covers for over $200 I found 3" insulating Firebrick for about $125, that was my first thought to go the less expensive but I also did not want to compromise the insulating. I believe I noticed the insulating firebrick in a few posts from karangi-dude and some other and just wanted to make sure they worked at least as well as the other options. I was also going to use a vermicrete layer and inlay the insulating firebrick (or FB board), my thought was from reading alot of posts is to insulate, insulate, insulate! Or is that overkill?
                      Another question I had for you was about the soapstone floor you used- how does it perform for you, have you had any issues of it being to hot of a surface? And would you comment on why you decided to lay the first course down on the side as opposed to standing them up, was it a visual thing or functional thing? Your build was awesome and I have been studying it closely.
                      Again I very much appreciate all the knowledge, experience and advice received.

Thanks,
                      Steven
                      Last edited by videts38; 05-16-2012, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Can somebody Help??
                        For the home brew all I can find for the hydrated lime is a product called Lee's double strength Hydrated Lime. I found it at a Tractor Supply Store and it states it is for agricultural uses. So far this is the only "Hydrated Lime" product I have found. And I have called every cement, motar, construction supply house around. If anybody can help with this I would appreciate it.

Newbie needing help!!
                        Steven

Comment

Steven,
                          3" of IFB is the same as 1 1/2" of fiber board, which I consider on the light side. I would go at least 3" on vermicrete underneath the IFB.

I'm still waiting on a stainless steel flue from my brother so unfortunately, my oven entryway is not completed. I am chomping at the bit to learn how the soapstone performs. Will report back as soon as I get the oven operating.

I had trouble mortaring the initial soldier course (+100F summer heat, mortar too dry, quite inexperieinced at masonry), primarily that the bricks did not bond. I was pleasantly surprised to see that simple gravity made for a much stronger bond by going horizontal. I like the look of the sailors and would do it again.
                          John

Comment

This might help on the lime front
                            Mason's Lime | Type N Normal Hydrated Lime | Type S Special Hydrated Lime | Mason%27s Lime

There is a table with the characteristics of lime that you might be able to compare to the packaging of what you found. I think you want to use type"S" for comparison
                            My build progress

Comment

Thanks John and Deejayoh,
                              I struggled half a day to try to find the (proper) lime to use for the home brew. I have a hard time believing no one carries it. HD have it on their web site but not in the stores and it can't be delivered!! Can't figure that one out. The surveyors were here today to make sure there are no power or cable lines were I'll be laying the foundation. So time to start "diggin" this week.
                              I do plan on putting a 3" vermicrete under the IFB. I'm going with more is better.
                              I received my firebricks and ceramic insulation yesterday. I'm getting all the ducks in a row before I start. I found 3" bricks and 2" ceramic blankets. I'm hoping this will save me a few steps (courses). Anyway off to the Tractor store to compare the lime table to the product I found.
                              Again A big thanks for the info guys.
                              Last edited by videts38; 05-18-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X