Oven Build in SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Build in SC

Thanks for the compliments and guidance guys. I've always had the dream but not the confidence to do a project like this but having the members of this forum is like having your own consulting team behind you to give you that nudge needed. Especially for someone like me that has absolutely no masonry experience at all. A big "Thank You" to the FB Forum.
    Right now I'm just trying keeping the foundation wet, with this sun cooking it during the days it's a little difficult. Then, Onto block stacking- this week end I will start to set up the stand blocks. I will have my first experience at cutting of the blocks for the side counters. I plan for a tight fit to the main stand. I figured I'll get some good practice cutting the blocks before I start cutting up the firebricks. I'll try not to start too early and wake up the neighbors with the noise! Yeah, just a little anxious!!

Comment

Know what you mean, start early it is cool, start late it is hot, compromise, start early and invite the neighbors over for "pizza".
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Well, moving forward slowly and got a late start. I removed the forms and backfilled next to the stand foundation today. That was enought of working outside though, way too hot!! Hopefully I will start the stand early tomorrow before the triple digits!! That's OK- slow and steady

Comment

Originally posted by videts38 View Post
          That's OK- slow and steady
          That's right, these things get addictive. But, there is no need to rush through things especially in hot weather. You've got the right attitude. These ovens are all about enjoying life, not killing yourself to "git-er-done" .
          I'm preaching to myself as much as I am commenting on your thread .
          Last edited by Gulf; 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

holy smokes that's hot. Summer doesn't start in Seattle until July 5. I had to stop working on my oven tonight because I was too cold...
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Well, finished dry stacking the blocks of the stand and cutting some for the side counters. Boy, cutting the block was a little dusty!! Anyway, ready to fill the cores with rebar and concrete this weekend. The blocks are not that pretty but they were free. And my helper just standing as usual.
              With each stage and getting closer to working on the WFO I get a little more excited and nervous!! Does it get any easier??

Comment

Videts38,

Nice layout, coming along, not sure it gets easier but you have a great resource from this forum to help ya along. Nobody sees the block after you put your final exterior on. Free is free. Looks like your helper is guarding the oven........
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

It sure looks great Videts38,
                  Free block! Thats even better . What are your plans for the wood storage opening?
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I'm still trying to decide about the wood storage area. I like the archway you poured on yours (Gulf) but.......I mean I can pour a square slab, just not sure I can incorporate an archway with it. I'm not sure on how to rebar it for it to be structurally sound. Would I just span the archway with rebar or would I have to follow the form of the arch? Any input would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by videts38 View Post
                      I'm still trying to decide about the wood storage area. I like the archway you poured on yours (Gulf) but.......I mean I can pour a square slab, just not sure I can incorporate an archway with it. I'm not sure on how to rebar it for it to be structurally sound. Would I just span the archway with rebar or would I have to follow the form of the arch? Any input would be much appreciated.
                      As for as monolithic goes either one will be structurally sound if you set it down on a support pilllar. I see that you have 2 whole blocks at the top on either side of your storage entry. If you are going with a monolithic flat lintel they would need to be at least knotched in to allow the lintel to set on top of a block. I would take a 4"H X 8"W knotch out of the top inside corner of the 2 top blocks.
                      What I did with the arched lintel was to just set 2 half blocks on top.

I highlighted one of my pics to help show the difference. (it doesn't show up very well in the original pic) Every thing below the black dotted lines is block. Above is concrete. As for as the rebar goes,(brown Line) I just bent two 1/2" lengths around the outline of the arch. They are just long enough to set down a little into the block on each side. That is all I did extra for the arch. All the other recomended steel for the hearth is in place to. I drew a red line which represents a flat monolithic arch. I show it 4" higher than than what is needed for the arch.
                      Edit: 1/2" rebar is not very difficult to bend into a curve. I bent mine just a little at a time walking about 3 inches at a time on the trailor hitch of my truck. I have a rod bender but it was another 40 steps away .
                      Another Edit: Oops, I went back and looked at my web album and that jogged my memory about the arch rebar. I actually flaired the ends of those two rods out level. I was originally going to let them set into the blocks. But on the day that poured the blocks I forgot to leave those two cells open.
                      Last edited by Gulf; 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Thanks for the diagram and for the insight on how to do the wood storage area arch Gulf- it's not as complicated to do as I thought. Off to do some planning!!

Comment

I have alot of ideas for my oven flying through my head and I'm stumped on the oven entrance. Does anybody know of a formula or better yet, the diameter needed for the 12.5" high by 20" wide entrance suggested by the online FB ebook? I like the look of the builds with the "hemispherical entrance" and would like to do that with my 42" build. Any thoughts or suggestions would help with the pain in my head trying to figure this out.

Comment

Mine is exactly those deminsions.

12.5 is the finished floor heighth. I cut mine just a little shorter than 12.5 to allow for wedges and easy removal.

Comment

Hello all,
                              I filled the stand cores today with the rebar and concrete. I was a little tired after bucketing 960lbs of concrete into what seemed like little openings. I feel so lucky I'm using a mixer. If I had to hand mix then lift and shake the concrete in to the blocks I'd probably be sleeping now instead of typing!! I also learned real fast (and the hard way) not to try and fill the bucket to save trips to the mixer. (lol) Man that little 5 gal bucket got real heavy real quick!! Anyway tomorrow I'll fill the side counter's cores then start forming up the hearth and I'm going to attempt an archway lintel for the wood storage area. I guess I didn't think I was working hard enough so I thought I'd make thing a little more complicated for myself!!
                              I like a challenge!!

Comment

You really don't use regular concrete to grout CMU cores, you use grout, which has smaller aggregate and is a lot more wet than concrete. CMU suck moisture out of the mix, so it is a good thing to make it runny. For this application coarse sand is all that is needed, although pea gravel mix is fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X