Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Build in SC

Videts38,
    I bet you are tired. That bucket is heavy! It may be too little and too late advice but I used a little homemade tool to get that concrete into the cells.

This is actually the second scoop I made. The first one I forgot to clean. I have used one on just about every step that required the wheel barrow. Here it is shown with some 5-1 vcrete. (quickest pic that I could find). When pouring those cells I either scooped it directly out of the wheel barrow or out of the bucket. A scoop full is a lot lighter than holding that bucket over the hole. And also, that hole seems a lot bigger .
    I used regular concrete on my stand as well. But, as Tscarborough advises very wet. That stuff seemed to find places to get out when filling dry stacked blocks. So, I did not fill a cell completely on one pass. I alternated filling between 3 or 4 cells at a time. That seemed to give enough time for the block to suck out enough moisture to heal up those little cracks. That probably was not a problem on your build as your block looks great. Mine were mostly used block and some were not perfect after cleaning the old mortar.
    Last edited by Gulf; 07-08-2012, 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Alright! I was just ready to head out to fill some more of the block cells. Something I really was not looking forward to. I glad I look online first. I just crafted a "scoop". And I must admit, my sholders are a little sore from yesterday, this is going to help tremendously! It's amazing, hind sight that is, looking back I don't know why I wouldn't have thought of that in the first place or after the umtenth bucket!! I need to try and work smarter not harder. Thanks Gulf!

Comment

I finally finished filling the cores of the stand. I ended up filling all the cores, don't know why, I guess I figured it wasn't going to hurt anything. I also left a little space at the top to secure the hearth a little. I was also planning to start the hearth forms today but after it got into the triple digits I was just happy to finish the cores. So another day...........

Comment

Taking baby steps. Worked on the archways over the wood storage areas tonight. I cut out the blocks where the archway and blocks come together. Wasn't sure how to do it but I'm trying. I notched the block where the masonite (?) board goes and flexed it in so ther is a nice uniform curve to the arch. Then cut out the block section above where the block/arch intersects so there will be nice solid concrete instead of a wedge coming down the side of the block. Tomorrow I'll box the face in and make some support for underneath the arches to hold it in place for the pour. Then on to the forms for the hearth!

Comment

Videts38
            You are making great progress! Have you had a break in the heat?

I poured an arch entry to my wood storage area:
            I left an 8 inch void (1/2 block) on either side of the opening.
            I cut two arches from 3/4 plywood the first fit just between the vertical blocks placed 8 inches back from the face and the second had "tab" that extended 8 inches past the opening.
            I placed a series of 8 inch long 2x4's front to back along the bottom edge of the arch. I then covered the 2x4's with a length of 8 inch wide aluminum flashing.
            I spanned the top of the form with a few 2x4 to prevent bowing front to back.
            Rebar went from the vertical sides up and over the arch.

The result was a scalloped archClick image for larger version

Name:	Wood storage arch.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	290379 I intend to even it out with a grinder.

I think your think panel will give a better result - but you will need to support it well! Also consider how you will remove the wood once the cement has cured.

dvm
            dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
            sigpic

Comment

Videts38,
              I still have my form for the oven arch intact. Unfortunately, I think I have a busted camera. I don't have a front on view,but here is two overhead shots.

Supporting the arch from underneath is a full thick 2X8. I cut mine from a scrap 2X10. But one can be made from 2X4's layed side to side and ripping one 2 finish out. On top are 2X's cut to fit the curve of the arch. Of course the one in the middle is taller than the two on the sides.

I used two runs of 1/4" luan plywood to form the curve. No scallops .
              I had the hole thing braced from underneat by 3 vertical 2X4's.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                Videts38,
                I used two runs of 1/4" luan plywood to form the curve. No scallops .
                Very Nice - Some lessons I learn before I act, some after. But any lesson learned is a good one!
                dvm

sigpic

Comment

Videts38,
                  Been raining every afternoon down here. Dog Days! I made it home this evening and it wasn't pouring. With a charged battery and 450+ deleted pics, I got my camera to take a couple more.

I did some arch forming with masonite on my landing, but I wasn't to impressed with it, so I bacik filled where I could with sand. It would have probably been fine If I had of doubled it, like I did with the monolithic arch. The sand was cheaper and easier, though.

Dvm,
                  I just got back to reading my post. I don't like the way it sounds, I was just trying to reinforce what you were saying, You may have not have read it as I just did, but if you did please excuse. I am going to write a book when I get finished with this oven and list all of my mistakes and lessons learned.
                  I think the title of my book will be Build a Cob Oven .

Comment

Absolutely no offense taken. I am having great fun with this build and am open to sharing my lessons learned, good or bad for anyone who cares to follow the saga.
                    dvm

sigpic

Comment

Hello videts38
                      How are things in SC? I hope you are enjoying your build.
                      dvm

sigpic

Comment

Hello All!!

After two weeks of rain(late day showers) back in July, then being out of the country for work for a couple weeks then summer vacation, I'm finally back at it.
                        I'm in the process of starting to frame out the hearth for a next weekend pour.
                        And the problems begin. I'm in need of a couple of valuable opinions.
                        The FB plans for a 42" Pompeii call for a block stand width of 65" , Well I have 62.5" I'm thinking I neglected to leave a little space in between the blocks as I was so excited to get the stand up. Unfortunately the cores are filled and it is what it is.
                        So my question is for previous builds, will the 62.5" block stand be sufficient for the 42" WFO or do I need to extend the width by 1.5" on each side when I frame up the hearth??
                        I'm leaning toward a Igloo style with some type of SBC coating but I'm not 100% sure. Seeing how that's waaaay off.
                        Just not sure what way to go. It would not be a big deal to extend the width of the hearth, just a little extra work. Well I don't want extra work if it's not needed.
                        Thanks for any help and I'm really happy to get back at it.!!!!

Comment

Welcome back builder!
                          Dino Pizza posted a PDF file with the as built dimensions of his block stand with the first course of his 42inch oven superimposed.
                          His post is here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/di...html#post61535
                          I found all of Dino's PDF files very helpful!
                          Attached Files
                          dvm

sigpic

Comment

Thanks dvm, that post from Dino's build will help alot. As for not deciding on an igloo or enclosure yet (and viewing Dino's pdf) I've decided to extend the hearth pad to the recommended 65" width. I don't want one of them "should of" moments to come and bite me.

Thanks Again

Comment

I am with you - Those "should of" moments can still sneak up - But if you see it on the horizon better to plan ahead and avoid.
                              dvm

sigpic

Comment

Again making some progress. After gaining my composure from driving the power screwdriver through the base on my thumb nail , I almost finished framing out the hearth base. A few more supports and laying of the rebar and I should be ready to pour the concrete this weekend providing Isaac does not rain on my parade. I thought I throw in my fateful lass Lizzie, whose been there for the tears and smiles.

Comment

Working...
                                X