Oven Build in SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oven Build in SC

Thanks for the kind comments people. As slow as it's going I feel like I'm taking baby steps, but it is what it is.
    I have to say that's a relief about the homebrew. I wasn't to worried but now I'm relieved. As far as the arch height being a little off, after hearing from you all I will let it stand as it is.

Comment

Videts
      that's a good looking arch - I wouldn't mess with it either. Maybe I missed your post on it but what are the arch and dome dimensions? I see you said the opening height is almost 13". If that is the radius I would have said it would be too wide, unless you lifted it an inch or too before staring the semi circle - i.e about 20" opening width would be about right.
      If that is the case and you want to tie the dome to it properly - you should also lift your IT the same amount at the dome centre. It will give you a higher dome but will tie perfectly to the arch. You can test this by rotating your IT to the top centre of the arch (the keystone). It should fit pretty good there when you have it the right height off the floor.
      Good luck with your building you've made a great start.
      Amac
      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Thanks AMAC. I have approx. 42.5 dia dome (tried for 42") and the inner archway is 20.25 (tried for 20") wide by 12 13/16 high (and tried for 12 1/2"). The IT tool ties in with the center of the arch almost perfectly now. I try to measure and measure twice and after cutting and placing these bricks they seem to grow!! (lol) I believe what happened was the mortar joints did not tighten up like I planned and were a little wider than my calculations. All in all though I believe the the dome should tie in correctly, by moving the IT tool around it all lines up. Thanks for the input.
        Last edited by videts38; 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

That seems about perfect !
          Amac
          Link to my WFO build

Comment

videt
            Mine grew oven magically expanded to a 42.5 ish too don't worry.
            Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-10-2012, 01:45 AM. Reason: typos
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Well, finally back at it and made some progress over the Christmas holiday!!
              After a spell of wet and cold weather it feels good to get back to my little project. After cutting a few bricks bass ackwards. I'm finding it takes some time and thought to cut these bricks correctly. I'm up to the fourth course and things are going to start getting a little trickier. I'm finding I can't cut as many and drystack them with out some sliding so I think I'm at the point where I cut three or four and mortar them in. Unfortunately vacation time is over and now I will only have the weekends with good weather to get any work done. I had thought I would have been starting some curing fires by now but...... Oh well, I'm now shooting for Easter!!! providing it's not too cold to get some mortaring of the bricks done.
              Last edited by videts38; 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Videt,

Cuts are looking good and tight. Take your time, if you are soaking bricks before laying, maybe just a quick dip. Cut you a couple notched sticks to hold bricks in place while you move on. I learned this trick from Tu, set an anchor brick, say middle of course, let sit overnight, then you can work on both side of anchor brick, giving the just laid brick time to set while you set one on the other side of the anchor.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by videts38 View Post
                  I'm up to the fourth course and things are going to start getting a little trickier. I'm finding I can't cut as many and drystack them with out some sliding so I think I'm at the point where I cut three or four and mortar them in. Unfortunately vacation time is over and now I will only have the weekends with good weather to get any work done. I had thought I would have been starting some curing fires by now but...... Oh well, I'm now shooting for Easter!!! providing it's not too cold to get some mortaring of the bricks done.
                  Its looking VERY good. Patience is key. If you can manage that, your oven will excel your expectations. I ran out of patience at course 8 or so and my oven turned out within my expectations and I am very happy. Keep up the good work.
                  Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

Excellent work and happy new year! you're making great progress and those courses look perfect from here. I started my summer project in May of 2012. While I am enjoying pizza and bread, I'm still not finished. Enjoy the process and keep posting those pictures it's a lot of fun to be engaged on the forms.
                    dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                    sigpic

Comment

Steven,

Exceptional cutting and tolerances on your inner arch joints. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

John

Comment

Well, have made little progress over the last couple of months due to being to cold to mortar, I think, I worry about the freezing temps at night. I not sure but I don't think that would be good for the mortar if it isn't dry yet.
                        But getting back at it here and there. Finished the forth course and half the fifth course (no pics of fifth yet).
                        Anyway, since it was back to freezing temps at night, I thought I get started framing out the side counters. I'd like to get those poured in the next week or so.
                        But I have a question first for the knowledgeable ones, do the counter tops need re-bar also? They will be approximately 2" thick, with cement board in the center between the blocks (see Pic). Seeing how there is only an 8" gap between the blocks, I'm not supporting the cement board. I stood on the board to test the strength of it before I made this decision, I didn't think the concrete would cave it in. But with the cement board the center it is only approximately 1.5" thick in that area. Then with the 1/2" rebar I have I thought it would be to close to the surface and less mix in that area and make it weaker. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Much appreciated!!

Comment

Why not set the board flush with the block? You could use tapcons to mount brackets, then put a couple pt supports.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

you need small rebar(pencil rod) or ladder wire for reinforcement in your concrete with a 2" thickness. You can grind and or cut the 1/2" rebar to a manageable height, say 3/4". Look at my thread if you are planning a trowel finish. Russel did a really nice polished finish on his.
                            Concrete needs the reinforcement, but you have to use smaller diameter rod or wire when your thickness goes to 2". I used 1/4" rod and it worked well. Still no cracks (knocking on wood)...

Tracy
                            Texman Kitchen
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thanks for the input, that's what I thought but wanted a second opinion. Really I was hoping for a "Not needed" but.......
                              I am going to trowel finish but will be putting some granite or something over it.
                              Thanks for the input!

Comment

you definitely need some reinforcement - rebar or a mesh (metal or fiberglass). For counters, I think most of the pros have gone to the specialized fiber mesh.
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X