Oven Build in SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oven Build in SC

Back at it again! Finished the last course and I'm starting to fashion the top key stone. Took baby steps all summer long between work, rain, vacation, work.
    Anyway very excited to be at this point. After the keystone, onto the entry arch and chimney.
    I have a question about the chimney for anybody- I have enough fire brick left over that I can fashion part or all the chimney from the firebrick. If I do that is that to much weight on the entry arch? I was thinking either all brick which could add up to a couple hundred pounds or build up a foot or so then go with the double wall pipe for two feet. I wasn't sure if it would need an abuntment. If so how do I do an abuntment?? This would sit on the entryway which will be the rounded archway type the same as the oven opening.
    Anyway, here is the progress so far.

Comment

Originally posted by videts38 View Post
      Back at it again! Finished the last course and I'm starting to fashion the top key stone. Took baby steps all summer long between work, rain, vacation, work.
      Anyway very excited to be at this point. After the keystone, onto the entry arch and chimney.
      I have a question about the chimney for anybody- I have enough fire brick left over that I can fashion part or all the chimney from the firebrick. If I do that is that to much weight on the entry arch? I was thinking either all brick which could add up to a couple hundred pounds or build up a foot or so then go with the double wall pipe for two feet. I wasn't sure if it would need an abuntment. If so how do I do an abuntment?? This would sit on the entryway which will be the rounded archway type the same as the oven opening.
      Anyway, here is the progress so far.
      I hear you about the rain..it was non stop until August.

You would have to build an abutment and a spandrel wall to support a firebrick chimney....and I think you are looking at more than 200lbs too.The way your oven arch is formed, it looks like the it is past center, and the line of thrust would exit at the bottom of your springers ( second brick in the arch) because they are elevated one brick high.

If it was me, I would just build a throat and level base for a clay or SS flue and save the rest of the firebrick for a BBQ or sell them.

Where are you in SC? I'm in North Santee on Lake Marion. I have another oven build starting soon and I might be interested if they are low duty.
      Last edited by stonecutter; 11-04-2013, 06:31 AM.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Videt
        Kudos on almost plugging the dome. Nice work on the dome. I did abt a foot of brick work then four feet of double wall ss pipe with no additional buttressing on arc. But if you go with a full brick chimney something to seriously consider.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Listening to you guys, I think I'm going to go with a throat and a level base for some double walled SS pipe. I'm busy enough and don't need all the extra building I know nothing about. Thanks for the info.
          Stonecutter, I'm in the upstate by Greenville. What I have are medium duty bricks. I can give you a more actuate count later on if you are interested.
          Thanks for your info also, it helped with the decisions.

Comment

Listening to you guys, I think I'm going to go with a throat and a level base for some double walled SS pipe. I'm busy enough and don't need all the extra building I know nothing about. Thanks for the info.
            Stonecutter, I'm in the upstate by Greenville. What I have are medium duty bricks. I can give you a more actuate count later on if you are interested.
            Thanks for your info also, it helped with the decisions.
            I have a bunch of close friends up there, in fact, we are coming up in month or so. Thank you, but I'm going to pass on the firebrick, I use low duty for my builds.

So, if you build a throat and go with SS, there is no need to reinforce your arch. Keep up with the updates!
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

WooHoo!!! My keystone is in! A very exciting moment! I'm more excited about not having to figure out what compound angle to cut on a brick!!!!
              It went in with a little effort and a rubber mallet! After I mortared up the opening and two keystone bricks I couldn't get it to go the last 1/8". But I'm OK with that I believe I did the best I could with it. I didn't want to take it out and I didn't want to damage anything. I believe it should hold fine.
              The excitement was short lived though because then I started the mock up of the entrance way and vent/chimney. I laid it out to get a visual then cut out the templates for the form.
              But when I went in for the night I still couldn't take that silly grin off my face when I thought about the dome being complete!!!

Question for all: Is there something I need to use on cleaning the inside of the dome other than a damp sponge? I tried to clean as I went with a damp sponge but as I look at it as I lay inside, it still looks as though it need more cleaning.
              Last edited by videts38; 11-06-2013, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Question for all: Is there something I need to use on cleaning the inside of the dome other than a damp sponge? I tried to clean as I went with a damp sponge but as I look at it as I lay inside, it still looks as though it need more cleaning.
                Congrats, your brickwork looks nice too.

Don't worry about the inside too much, it will get cleaner with use. Some people have used vinegar to clean haze off, I know it's an old method...but having never done it, I can't personally say how well it works.

I discourage the use of acid to clean ovens. Not only is it dangerous because of the confined space, but I think most people don't know that the correct procedure for acid cleaning involves soaking the masonry to saturation before scrubbing. If the masonry isn't saturated, then you are risking damage to the mortar or the unit itself ( not clay..but anything with portland or lime) To me it's a double negative...dangerous, and you want less water in the masonry, not more.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

The excitement was short lived though because then I started the mock up of the entrance way and vent/chimney. I laid it out to get a visual then cut out the templates for the form.
                  Dorry sweat it, it's no big deal....building a single arch is easier than building the dome, and you go that part done.

Looking at your flue opening, it looks to be about three brick wide and that is small for your 42"...for that matter, it is small even for a 32".

I encourage you to open it up more, another 2 voussoirs. This will be a lot better for your draw, and avoid smoke bypassing the flue opening and staining the front of your finishes.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Looking at your flue opening, it looks to be about three brick wide and that is small for your 42"...for that matter, it is small even for a 32".

I encourage you to open it up more, another 2 voussoirs. This will be a lot better for your draw, and avoid smoke bypassing the flue opening and staining the front of your finishes.
                    Thank you for the advise Stonecutter. I will open it another 2 voussoirs.
                    Which I had to Google to find the meaning of voussoirs!

I just want to say it's great having people like yourself and others on this site that gives a novice like myself a little more confidence, knowing there's knowledge and advice out there helping us. It is so much appreciated

Comment

Which I had to Google to find the meaning of voussoirs!
                      Apologies...I usually try to put layman terms in parentheses, but it's not always easy for me to remember!
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

This is a gorgeous build! Congratulations!
                        Link to my build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                        https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Thank you very much for the compliments!

Comment

Vid, congrats on getting plugged, dome looks great.
                            Chris

Link to my photo album:
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Entrance is now complete! Moving to facade.
                              Over the course of winter I was able to make progress here and there.
                              I believe I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Comment

More Progress.

Also, started the brick facade for the front arch. But before I get to far I have a question if somebody can answer.
                                I'm using old bricks that kinda have a craggly surface. I can't seem to get the mortar all cleaned off like I could on the fire bricks. I've tried to brush it off but when they dried they still had a mortar film over them. Is ther a way to get this off so I will have the nice red brick face to it?
                                Thanks for any help.

Steven
                                Last edited by videts38; 03-31-2014, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X