• Re: Oven Build in SC

This is Jim's page on curing How to Cure a Pizza Oven
    Link to my build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Thanks for the info Stonecutter and Mirassou.

After reading the "How to cure a Pizza Oven", since I already passed the 350F and went to 400F+ yesterday I will attempt to repeat the 400F temp today and maintain it for a couple hrs. It's taken quite a bit of time to get this far so no sense rushing to get the curing fires complete. Although I was dreaming of that first pizza this weekend, I can wait till next.
      The one part that gave me a little piece of mind is where it says to let the dome cure for 28 days before firing- I finished my dome the 6 of November. So it's been sitting a while and finished the archway in March. So both have had there time to setup.

Comment

Also I do put the door on after firing to maintain some of the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by videts38 View Post
          Also I do put the door on after firing to maintain some of the heat.
          G'day
          Yes put the door on..... Keep the heat for as long as you can. And while your at it don't forget to add some food. You got yourself WFO there not just a pizza oven. Shame to waste that heat
          Regards Dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Did a quick visual of the oven- All clear! No obvious cracks or indications.
            Another curing fire complete! I tried to maintain 400F for a second night since last night I only got to 400+ then dismantled the fire.
            Tonight I had approximately 380F to 460F and back again. It was quite windy and it seemed every time I put a couple pieces of wood on if would inch up to 400F+. Anyway held it for almost 3 hrs. h
            Heard a couple gowns from the oven. Kind of sounded like the floor expanding. 90 mins. after I put the door on still had 300F reading on the door thermometer.
            Anyway, feel a little more comfortable about getting to 500F tomorrow!!

Also, Cobblerdave, Thanks for the advice, I prepped some food tonight to put in with tomorrow nights curing fire! Always thought the first food out of the oven was going to be a pizza! I see I have to expand my way of thought.

Comment

600F and counting!!
              I achieved 617F last night! And I surprised at how small of a fire it take to get there. I started out at ~200F from the residual heat from the night before.
              I trying to maintain a fire for as long as possible but have limited time.
              Last night started at~200F after about 90 min. was holding at 500F+ then went to 600F+ for the next hour. Hopefully I'm driving out that moisture!
              I was hoping for a pizza this weekend but now they are calling for rain later today and tomorrow. Oh well, soon enough>

I have been taken Cobbledave's advise and putting some food in while curing though. But just in some aluminum packets since I'm constantly putting ash in the air with the added pieces of wood.

My wife is thinking I'm kind of a closet pyro because I'm stay there for all the time staring at the fire. I snicker and tell her "wait till you see what's a coming!!

Comment

V
                Prior to the radio and the TV, fire was are only entertainment for thousands of years. Enjoy your accomplishment and don't let a few rain drops spoil you getting to make your first pizzas. My suggestion would be to invest in a "Easy-Up" canopy, you'll need it in the future when you schedule a party and it starts raining. Nice job on your WFO!
                Chris

Link to my photo album:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Congratulations! Good to see another oven in SC completed. You did a great job. Where about are you? I am in the process of building one in Chapin, but I am a few months behind you.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments people!

Hubert_s- I'm in the upstate by Greenville

Well, got to complete my curing fires this weekend!! I think?
                    I'm using a HF Laser thermometer and am taking readings of the dome peak and surrounding areas. I recently finished the 600F,700F and 800F+ yesterday. I try to bring it up slowly over time, after about 60 to 90 min. I was at 500 then I bring it to 600 and so on. After 4 hrs. I had it up to 800F+ by readings of the thermometer.
                    My question though if anybody can answer is I thought the dome clears at these temps? Or do I still have too small of fires going? I do see the temps fall as the fire burns out. I guess meaning it's not fully saturated with heat?
                    I'm new to the WFO thing so still learning. Any thoughts?

So far everything looks good. Nothing noticeable but everything is still black also. I've heard some groans but they mostly sounded like the floor expanding.
                    Anyway I think it's finally time to start sealing the outside of the igloo! I'll be happy when I don't have to throw a tarp over it anymore!!!!
                    I have another layer of blanket to put on, a couple inches of vermiculite/Portland then a stone veneer for the finish!!
                    Then on to the counters, front mantle and the base!
                    BUT I CAN SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!! OR SHOULD I SAY FIRE!

Comment

Videts, I thought you would be eating pizza this weekend since we did not get any of the rain they promised, at least not in the Midlands. Looks like you are on schedule for next weekend, though, and there is no rain in the forecast.

Comment

Originally posted by videts38 View Post
                        Thanks for the compliments people!

Hubert_s- I'm in the upstate by Greenville

Well, got to complete my curing fires this weekend!! I think?
                        I'm using a HF Laser thermometer and am taking readings of the dome peak and surrounding areas. I recently finished the 600F,700F and 800F+ yesterday. I try to bring it up slowly over time, after about 60 to 90 min. I was at 500 then I bring it to 600 and so on. After 4 hrs. I had it up to 800F+ by readings of the thermometer.
                        My question though if anybody can answer is I thought the dome clears at these temps? Or do I still have too small of fires going? I do see the temps fall as the fire burns out. I guess meaning it's not fully saturated with heat?
                        I'm new to the WFO thing so still learning. Any thoughts?

So far everything looks good. Nothing noticeable but everything is still black also. I've heard some groans but they mostly sounded like the floor expanding.
                        Anyway I think it's finally time to start sealing the outside of the igloo! I'll be happy when I don't have to throw a tarp over it anymore!!!!
                        I have another layer of blanket to put on, a couple inches of vermiculite/Portland then a stone veneer for the finish!!
                        Then on to the counters, front mantle and the base!
                        BUT I CAN SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!! OR SHOULD I SAY FIRE!
                        Taking readings with an IR thermometer during firing can be quite misleading because it is reading the surface temperature and the readings will be higher. If it has not gone white then you still have water to eliminate. Do some more fires and don't bother sealing the outside yet. keep going until all the black has burnt off right down to the base of the dome, then you're done.
                        Last edited by david s; 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

G'day
                          Your being very conservative with the fire which is a good thing at the early stages.
                          Myself I think you could start burning them longer. I'm not sure if you have a door but it would come in handy. Its as simple as a piece of ply covered with aluminum foil raided from the kitchen and a couple of bricks to hold it on. Who cares if it self destructs, make another if it does the job.
                          Start taking the temps at the back wall 10 inchs of the floor and you'll get a lower reading but one that is more general to the rest of the oven. The peak of the dome is far hotter than the other parts so your temperatures to date are fairly conservative really.
                          The pizza will come you'll know best when that is ...IR thermometer or not.
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks for the inputs!
                            I will continue with the curing fires. (Still Fun for me!)
                            Mostly I have been focused on the peak of the dome temperatures because they do get up there. I have taken readings of the back and sides- I think the highest I had was approx. 500+ at about 3-4 bricks up.
                            Also I do have a door which I have been putting on after the firing. After my highest temps achieved at the dome peak (800-900F) the following mornings the thermometer on the door read 375F, the 200F yesterday. Again with just one layer of the ceramic blanket so far.
                            Also attached is a picture of the fires I've been having so far and maybe slightly larger as the time goes on. Are these too small still? When I see the flames rolling on the dome I get a little nervous, but not because of the fire just don't want to rush it. I've followed the scheduled curing fires accordingly200F through 800F (again temps at dome peak) in successive days and kept them going for as long as time permitted, usually 3-4 hrs.
                            A few questions I have if the sides of the dome need to reach those high temps what will I be seeing at the peak? Does the fire need to roar before I will achieve the clearing of the dome or do I continue at the current pace?

Again, thanks to everybody for the inputs and answers I've been getting. This is truly exciting!!

Comment

Videt,

Sure like the way the smoke is tracking up your nice vent brick work.

Follow David's advice and cure oven so black soot has cleared all the way to the floor. You might have to move the fire around to accomplish.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                                Videt,

Sure like the way the smoke is tracking up your nice vent brick work.
                                I agree....
                                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                                John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X