Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Curing

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the information it is awesome.

We have just built a 36" oven and are in the process of curing it. I noticed that a lot of smoke comes out of the front of the oven as well as going up the stove pipe that is about 4' high.

Now I know that the smoke will rise a lot better when it is hot and also when the stove pipe gets hot and that is what eventually happened. However, is it normal for the smoke to come out the front until it gets to a sufficient temperature to get the draw up?

I have attached some photos of the oven with a tape measure in so that if any of you have ideas then you know what the dimensions are. PS the dome height is about 17".

Many thanks for reading this and replying if you do

Olly

Re: Oven Curing

The flue looks too small for the size of the oven, also the height ratio to the entry looks wrong.
    Smoke will find the easiest way out which looks like you entry.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

New ovens which will still be damp are notorious for being smokey until they are dry.
      A 36" oven should have at least a 6" diam flue to draw properly.That is 28 sq in.in area
      Once your oven is properly dry, if it is still smokey you could increase the draw by making the flue taller. Just add another section.
      I'm sure you will find it improves after about 10 decent fires.
      You may also be able to grind the corners of the bricks at the base of the entry of the flue exit, so that it is more of a funnel to the flue pipe.
      Last edited by david s; 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Eyeballing from the picture with the tape measure, it looks to me like an ~11" arch on a 17" dome - which is 65% ratio. Maybe slightly high, but not too bad.

I'd focus on the chimney diameter. Maybe take off the pipe and run a round grinder down the brick to make the transition more smooth as David suggests.

You might also install a "lip" on the front of your arch that will contain the smoke. I think a lot of builders install their decorative arch that way.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post

You might also install a "lip" on the front of your arch that will contain the smoke. I think a lot of builders install their decorative arch that way.
          The trouble with doing this is that it makes fitting the door in place really difficult.

I think your problem is mostly caused by the oven being still wet. More fires should probably fix it.

Comment

"However, is it normal for the smoke to come out the front until it gets to a sufficient temperature to get the draw up?"

Perfectly normal. If you don't mind a bit of soot buildup (which I think is rather attractive) then leave it the way it is.

In my opinion, if, after the initial firing, the smoke and gasses go up the vent and don't blow into your face while cooking it is fine.

After using if for a while you can always change it (with minimal effort as David notes) if you are not happy with it.
            Last edited by Neil2; 06-27-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

A few years ago I set up at a market and I was placed beside a lady who was selling hand knitted baby stuff. Being very concerned that my smoke might be an issue for her I was extremely careful at light up. Starting with minimal fuel and building the fire slowly, careful monitoring, use of the blowpipe and always maintaining a flame, I was able to fire the oven for the whole evening without any smoke issues. I'm never quite so careful now, but it was an instructive experience. It is very easy to overload your oven with fuel, especially in my case because my oven is so small.

It is also essential for your wood to be dry.
              Last edited by david s; 06-27-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Preheat your flue. Roll up some newspaper and light it directly under the chimney. Then light the fire. Growing up, we had a woodstove in the basement and the chimney was three storeys high. Unless we warmed the flue before starting the fire, we'd get smoked out.

Comment

Originally posted by azatty View Post
                  Preheat your flue. Roll up some newspaper and light it directly under the chimney. Then light the fire. Growing up, we had a woodstove in the basement and the chimney was three storeys high. Unless we warmed the flue before starting the fire, we'd get smoked out.
                  I woud have lost that bet . I was sure that Brickie would have jumped in on this one .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    I woud have lost that bet . I was sure that Brickie would have jumped in on this one .
                    I knew you would be waiting thats why I didnt.....
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                    X