Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indoor pizza oven...tying into existing old fireplace chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor pizza oven...tying into existing old fireplace chimney?

I've been a long-time lurker and, now that we have started our kitchen remodel, I am getting closer to making some final plans. As part of the remodel, our kitchen is now opened up to a larger space with an old masonry fireplace at one end. We would like to remove the old fireplace (facade and firebox) and replace it with something more asthetically pleasing....and useable. After dismissing the idea of a masonry heater ($$$$ for supplemental heat and white oven) in that space, I am thinking pizza oven. The wider projection of the pizza oven (compared to the fireplace) into the room is not a problem. The issue is....how to tie the chimney of the pizza oven (at the front of the pizza oven) into the existing chimney of the fireplace? We would like to use a preassembled pizza oven for ease of install. Could a connection be created which would curve back from the pizza oven chimney and tie into the existing masonry chimney? If so, What materials could be used for that connection?
    Kathleen

Re: Indoor pizza oven...tying into existing old fireplace chimney?

Do a search on this forum for squirrel tail. There have been a few.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Or "beaver tail". There was a post in the kast 30-ish days where this very question was asked, and I know I used the term "beaver tail" in the post which contained a link to the Masonry Heater Association's build.

Comment

You can probably cook a squirrel or a beaver in a WFO, although given the two I'd prefer to eat the beaver.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Please post some pics of your existing fireplace chimney. You don't want to use accute angles to link up with your fireplace chimney. Try to limit the bend in your chimney when tying into the existing installation. Do not exceed a 45 degree angle - try to maintain the smallest angle at all times.
          sigpic

Check out the link to my build and pictures here

Comment

Normally, if you remove a masonry fireplace, you will have to remove the chimney stack as well. It would be possible to support the stack while you built the oven, but I doubt you will get a structural engineer to sign off on it.

Comment

Working...
            X