Round Oven with an Ash Slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Oven with an Ash Slot

Just wondering if anyone has done one like this. Also if I can see apicture of one would be great.
    Thanks,
    Gus in San Francisco

Re: Round Oven with an Ash Slot

I have. The ash slot is in the front, "outside" of the oven. It is 1 inch wide the full width of the oven opening funneling down to a 4 inch diameter opening thru the structural slab.

It also functions as a heat break between the hearth bricks and the concrete counter top/landing.

Comment

Hi there, thanks for the info. Is there anyway I can see a picture?

I was thinking along those lines as well of Putting the ash slot outside the door I had an existing outdoor fireplace that had collapsed a long time ago and I wanted to restore it or even maybe knocking it down all completely. I chose to keep it and build a pizza oven on top of the remaining structure.

I will send a picture maybe you can tell me what you think. Thank you...
      GUS

Comment

For the miniscule amount of ash an oven produces even after a long pizza night burn I fail to see the advantage of an ash slot?
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have an ash dump on my 42" pompei. I really, really like it. It make it so easy to just rake the ashes down the slot and forget about it. It's the same type of ash slot/dump found on fireplaces. I'll take some pic's and post later.

Comment

I use my oven primarily for baking bread and wanted an ash slot so I didn't have to be fiddling with ash during my prep time. I love to be able to simply pull the ash into the container, cover it, and then continue with my bread. I put in a negative form (two 2x4's) in my slab, poured the slab, and then knocked out the wood leaving the slot. I used an old tire repair "bucket" (fill with water, roll tire inside to look for punctures via bubble trails) for the ash container and used a piece of thin sheet metal to cover.

The unit is mounted on rails under my slab so I pull the ash bucket cover back, rake the ash into the slot which drop into the bucket, push the cover back into place (smothering the live coals and containing any smoke), and then continue with my other work. The next day after company is gone I can dump the ash at my convenience. I put in a few pics to illustrate how I made it work for me. (Incidentally, I'd never use 2x4's again for a negative form...they absorbed water and became really stuck in the "hole". The next one I worked on we used Styrofoam wrapped in plastic which was much easier to remove after the slab set.)
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the insight, very nice design! Approximately how many fire bricks did you use?
              Thanks, GUS

Comment

Love the ash slot, wouldn't be without one!
                Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Here is an idea for an ash slot that I haven't seen before. I thought it was cool. Arthur's build has an all brick stand, double wood storage arches and an ash slot in the middle. I'm taking the liberty of posting a pic from his album. I think it is sharp.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by gusroldan View Post
                    Thanks for the insight, very nice design! Approximately how many fire bricks did you use?
                    Thanks, GUS
                    Thanks for the design compliment Gus. My records show that I used about 210 firebricks for the build. I purchased 40 new ones (full bricks) for the hearth and salvaged about 170 for the dome. Other than the first soldier course, the dome is constructed of bricks that I cut in half.

The barrel shaped facade and chimney took over 150 standard bricks (cut lengthwise for the facade). The oven is a "stubby beaver tail" Pompeii design (easier to pull out ash to the slot along curve of the wall) and measures 45" deep and 39" wide. The ash bin usually holds ashes from 4-5 firings before I get around to emptying it.
                    Last edited by SableSprings; 07-09-2012, 08:24 AM.
                    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I wrestled with the idea of putting in an ash slot...decided against it. Since I do not know what life would have been like with an ash slot, I dont really miss it.

Comment

Working...
                      X