parchment paper in brick oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parchment paper in brick oven?

When I have baked pizzas on stone in reg. oven I would slide pizza off cookie sheet with parchment paper onto stone. We have just finish pizza oven and wondering if I want to make pizza on cookie sheet then transfer to peel outside if the parchment paper method would work? It burns around the edges in the oven but doesn't affect the pizza.

Re: parchment paper in brick oven?

At pizza temps, it would go, Poof!

Comment

Yep. Parchment is good to around 450F. Your brick oven floor will be around 700-800F.

Build your pizza on a floured peel, giving the peel a little jiggle every minute or so to assure the pizza will still slide around.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Although I started out using parchment with my pizza, I have discontinued the practice. Initially the idea was that several people could build a pie on parchment and then I could easily pick up the completed "works" and bake 'em. As noted previously, the parchment around the edges does burn off at the higher temps, but the paper underneath does not. Unfortunately, often the better-wetter-pizza dough would "bond" with the parchment underneath and make it somewhat difficult to remove.

Now I stretch/form the skin and put it on my rice floured peel for my guests to top. This single file method works just as well as my original plan for involving those folks who want to try it out--since it's not about speed here, it's the experience. Having "done a pizza", most folks are happy to sit at the table and call out things they'd like to see me put on the next pizza.

Other than baguettes, I still use parchment under my breads (since the fall of 2009 -- 1,085 loaves as of my upcoming bake this afternoon). After the each baking session, I put the used parchment in a bucket with my kindling for the next bake.
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Adding flour to your pizza peel with help it from sticking and making it easy to slide off the peel

Comment

I have had much better success using rice flour on my peels rather than regular flour. If there's a bit too much moisture, the regular flour literally turns to glue whereas rice flour doesn't absorb water very well at all and helps you avoid the "stickies" for a much longer time. Give 'em both a try and see which works best for you. I keep my rice flour in one of those little stainless steel shakers which makes it very easy to use. It's also what I use for my linen baguette couches and cloth lined bread baskets. Rice flour is easy to brush off loaves after baking as well since it doesn't stick.
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks I will try rice flour, tomorrow is last cure burn, but my pizza peels haven't come yet so not sure if Sunday will be the big day. I hope to make bread and am looking for a class in our area.

Comment

Semolina may be worth a try as well don't be timid and use a generous amount.

Comment

Made our first pizzas, didn't have peel I ordered yet and couldn't wait. put parchment paper on cookie sheet, topped with cornmeal made small pizzas, they flew right off paper and turned out great. Now I have to get brave with bread making.

Comment

Working...
                  X