Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven struggles - bottom of crust terrible

HELP!
    I have practiced 3 days now. The top of the pizza is cooking fine. The bottom of the pizza is not cooking enough.
    Suggestions???
    I have an Andiamo 70.
    thank you!

Re: Oven struggles - bottom of crust terrible

Originally posted by pizzafun View Post
    HELP!
    I have practiced 3 days now. The top of the pizza is cooking fine. The bottom of the pizza is not cooking enough.
    Suggestions???
    I have an Andiamo 70.
    thank you!
    Do you have any way to determine the temp of the dome vs floor.

1, Push your fire over where you want to place the pizza and then before cooking it push the fire away and cook on the hot spot.

2, is your floor insulated?

3, is the insulation under the floor dry yet?

4, How long is it taking to cook the tops?

Chip
    Chip

Comment

Originally posted by pizzafun View Post
      HELP!
      Suggestions???
      I have an Andiamo 70.
      thank you!
      We need to know the temp of your floor. That number is HUGE on whats happening while cooking.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I will echo what the others have said, it is great advice. I build my fire on the flood where I plan on cooking, then move the coals to the back left and place the pies where the fire was.

Comment

You are not building large enough fires, so the cooking floor is not hot enough. The dome and the floor should both reach 800F+ during firing and then they can cool down for baking.
          Hope this helps =)

Comment

hi,
            I broke down and bought a laser infrared thermometer...FB sells them as do other companies but all are about $100...It is truly invaluable since guaging the temperature at the extreme temps required in WFO cooking by sight or feel is basically just guessing...the IR thermometers tell you within 2 degrees how hot any surface is...your floor should be 750 - 800 degrees when you put your first pie in...Attached picture is a pizza after 15 seconds in my Primavera70...You should see the crust start to 'spring' almost instantly...check out the pizza cooking video on FB's web page...it shows how hot and fast a pizza cooks...also the "top down" fire video is very helpful.
            Good Luck

Comment

The Harbor Freight IR thermometer works just fine up to 1000F and it's often on sale for as little as $24.95. plus 20% off if you play your cards right.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

From the picture it seems your oven isn't hot enough, it hasn't burned clear.

Comment

Hi everyone...
                  Thanks for your suggestions.
                  I have a infrared thermometer.
                  I don't know anything about insulation. I will have to ask Forno Bravo.
                  The tops of pizzas cook in 5 minutes.
                  I will build hotter & bigger fires & place the fire where I will cook the pizza.
                  I will move the fire & pizza from side to side.

Comment

Your oven is still black. All the black should be burnt away to cook pizzas at the required temp. 5mins is too long. Try throwing 1/2 tsp of semolina onto the middle of the floor. It should turn black in 3 secs. 4secs = floor not hot enough, 2 secs= floor too hot. Maybe your oven is still too new, contains moisture and still needs longer gentle fires to finish eliminating water.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Just found out from Forno Bravo that Yes I do have floor insulation in my oven(ceramic).
                      & Yes it is dry.

Comment

thanks.
                        I will test again & advise.
                        I do know last time I did pizza the corn meal from the peel did catch fire. But the crust on the bottom did not cook very well.

Comment

hi pizzafun
                          hope it works better for you.
                          Jusnt an FYI try to find semolina flour, not corn meal, they both look really similar, yellow and coarse, but because corn has a high sugar content ( ie corn syrup) it will caramalize then burn (fire) with a very bitter taste. I had to go to cooking school to learn that. its not obvious. The grainy stuff under pizzas at a pizzaria is almost always semolina flour. when semolina hits the stone it should carbonize but not flame up leaving a more neutral carbon taste...unfortunatley corn or semolina don't have anything to do with why your crust isn't browning quickly or evenly...but when you do get the crust perfect go with semolina ;-)

Comment

thanks for the tip!

Comment

You will know when you clear the dome. Just build a big fire and keep it going hot until all the black is gone. It doesn't happen all at once, a black line will move across the dome. Then test with a therm. or semolina. The black burns off at around 650 -700F. I think the semolina goes around 850F in 2 or 3 sec.
                              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Working...
                              X