Getting Started on First build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started on First build

Hello I am going to build my first oven based on "2005 small commercial pizza oven w/Pat Manley" From the MHA site. (www. mha-net.org) I found thru a link on this site. W/that said I have a couple of questions. First if I look at the pics I noticed that they pulled out a course of brick on each side of the entry, Why? & there is threaded rod and c-channel on both sides, This is for strength, But dies it need to stay on the build after the motar sets up. Thanks & I hope this makes sense.

Re: Getting Started on First build

I see A lot of views but no response. Is the Questions not clear?

Comment

Gudday
      Sorry I do not think anyone wanted to be rude....but the oven your asking advice for is on another site...right.
      I think you'll find advice a' plenty on forno pompeii oven construction and general construction help...but a specific question about another sites oven oven construction is well a bit of an ask.
      Theres a lot of good folk willing to give ther time and there expertice perhaps a more general question might be able to be answered

Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

That oven is a low dome Neapolitan, but it is "naked" without the support of insulation/skin and thus must be restrained with iron strapping.

Comment

The threaded rod/channel seems to be overkill...especially once the mortar sets. I dont see the advantage. The brick and mortar are going to expand/contract slightly with each firing of the oven. External metal support might actually prevent expansion and might cause internal stress/cracking. But, then again, If the steel heats up, it will expand as well....who knows? Maybe the reason this guy needed the external support was that he cut all of his bricks prior to mortaring, and built the entire dome in a one session. When I built my dome, I would lay one course, then let it setup for a day or so before adding another course.

It took me a while to figure out which bricks were pulled out (I think I know where you are talking about) It looks like they are planning to rest a side counter on that.

I would strongly recommend getting the plans on this website....it walks you through step by step. You can adjust as needed.

Good luck with your build! (it is well worth the effort....)

Comment

The co-efficient of thermal expansion of steel is much higher than firebrick, so it will get looser as it heats up. Without the strap, there is not enough support for the dome.

Comment

Any reason why you want to build this oven and not a Pompeii? Just curious.

Here's a good read:
              Why Build an Italian Brick Oven | Round Brick Oven Design
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                Gudday
                Sorry I do not think anyone wanted to be rude....but the oven your asking advice for is on another site...right.
                I think you'll find advice a' plenty on forno pompeii oven construction and general construction help...but a specific question about another sites oven oven construction is well a bit of an ask.
                Theres a lot of good folk willing to give ther time and there expertice perhaps a more general question might be able to be answered

Regards Dave
                Thanks for this response I did not realize this would be a problem. I also did not think people were being rude. I thought it was my explantion not being clear.
                I have been reading this site for a few months now and all on here semm to be very helpful. Thank-you for your response and all that have come in. My questions have been made clear to me. Thanks again for all your help

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                  Any reason why you want to build this oven and not a Pompeii? Just curious.

Here's a good read:
                  Why Build an Italian Brick Oven | Round Brick Oven Design
                  Well I have looked at the domes and tought it to be too hard as I have no experience. I saw this and thought I can handle this build much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by jcb View Post
                    I have looked at the domes and tought it to be too hard as I have no experience.
                    Don't let the shape of a dome intimidate you. Many (most?) of us here had little to no masonry experience prior to building our ovens. The very first brick I ever laid was in the floor of my oven.

The shape of a dome is very forgiving; it literally holds itself together. It's the perfect shape for a beginner. You have physics on your side.

Don't choose your oven style based on your perceived skill (or lack of!). Pick the oven style that will work best for what you want to cook.

If you have basic handyman skills (power saw, drill, hammer, screwdriver, shoveling stuff) and can read directions, you can build either style of oven.
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Comment

You can build a Pompeii. It isn't as difficult as you think. It is intimidating to see the near perfect builds on the forum. But perfection is not required for performance. Look at some of the pics of the 1000+ year old ovens, they were not perfect at all and still stand. 2cents worth.
                      Tracy
                      Texman Kitchen
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

JCB - I think like myself, most of the posters on this forum had no experience with ovens (or even masonry) before embarking on their Pompeii journey. I wouldn't worry that much about that part. Whichever oven you choose to build, you still need to cut bricks and mortar them. That's all the same. If you go with the Pompeii, this forum is going to be a much more useful resource given all the shared experience.

One note on the build you are looking at - there's no insulation under or around that oven. It would not perform well as a permanent installation.

Another thought - given the design has the vent in the main oven chamber, you won't be able to isolate the oven chamber with a door to use the oven for baking after a pizza cook. That's a feature that most of us with the Pompeii find very desirable.
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          JCB - I think like myself, most of the posters on this forum had no experience with ovens (or even masonry) before embarking on their Pompeii journey. I wouldn't worry that much about that part. Whichever oven you choose to build, you still need to cut bricks and mortar them. That's all the same. If you go with the Pompeii, this forum is going to be a much more useful resource given all the shared experience.

One note on the build you are looking at - there's no insulation under or around that oven. It would not perform well as a permanent installation.

Another thought - given the design has the vent in the main oven chamber, you won't be able to isolate the oven chamber with a door to use the oven for baking after a pizza cook. That's a feature that most of us with the Pompeii find very desirable.
                          Deejayoh If I do go w/this style of build I can pull the vent out right?

Comment

Deejayoh If I do go w/this style of build I can pull the vent out right?
                            Which style? And what exactly do you mean by "pull the vent out"?
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Comment

The brick that protrudes from the core in the rear and front is there to make it much easier to set the harness in place solo.
                              The harness remains in place to contain the lateral expansion of the vault arch. For less than $100 in materials, you have very cheap insurance that your vault will remain intact for the life of the oven. Not overkill in the least. The oven we built at wildacres was a workshop, and as such we did not insulate under the hearth, which was explained at the workshop. We typicaly use 4 to 6 inches of cellular glass. Vault arch is done all at once, in monolithic fashion, not in individual bands.

Pat

Hello I am going to build my first oven based on "2005 small commercial pizza oven w/Pat Manley" From the MHA site. (www. mha-net.org) I found thru a link on this site. W/that said I have a couple of questions. First if I look at the pics I noticed that they pulled out a course of brick on each side of the entry, Why? & there is threaded rod and c-channel on both sides, This is for strength, But dies it need to stay on the build after the motar sets up. Thanks & I hope this makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X