Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting Started on First build

Hi Pat,

What is cellular glass? Is that anything like fiberglas, how is it commonly used?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
      Which style? And what exactly do you mean by "pull the vent out"?
      Ken I am still thinking of building a Dome Neapolitan and It was pointed out to me that the flue was inside the oven floor space. So my thought was a little redesign and pull the vent out of the floor space. I hope this makes sence.

Comment

Cellular glass is like a "hard" glass matrix with billions of bubbles of air. It is an industrial strength insulator and comes in a variety of shapes (pipes, etc) and sizes. I use pieces that are 4(or 6) inches thick, 18 inches wide, and 2 feet long. It has a compressive strength of just short of 100 psi. Foamglas brand is made by owens corning. I build my entire oven cores on top of a layer of foamglas.
        As a side note, a thicker layer of cellular glas is underneath all of the new oil tanks built in Kuwait to replace those destroyed in the war. It's also acts like a huge gasket/cushin. There was a mini shortage here for a few months as a result.

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
        Hi Pat,

What is cellular glass? Is that anything like fiberglas, how is it commonly used?

Comment

jcp,

I took a look a the oven on the Mason's website you were thinking of building and if you can build it you can build a dome and not have to put all the metal work in. I never did any block or brick work before undertaking the WFO adventure and this is a great site for help, ideas and support. There is also a third option that some off the builders have done which is a barrel design. In any case the design choice is yours. Good luck with your build.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            jcp,

I took a look a the oven on the Mason's website you were thinking of building and if you can build it you can build a dome and not have to put all the metal work in. I never did any block or brick work before undertaking the WFO adventure and this is a great site for help, ideas and support. There is also a third option that some off the builders have done which is a barrel design. In any case the design choice is yours. Good luck with your build.
            Beehiver I love your build. I am not sure what I am going to build. I do know what ever I do decide this is the site for Help. All the members are so helpful and nice. Thanks for the reply. I will keep your pictures in my favorites.

Comment

Working...
            X