Joint finish ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint finish ?

In reading these differnet threads i have found many of the answers to my questions , but one thing I have not ran accross is joint finish on the inside of the oven . Are the joints struck ( smoothed out with a joint tool ) or are they just cut flush with the brick . I know towards the end you may not be able to reach some of them to finish , so maybe its really not important . Thanks.
    My Oven Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/s...ult-18532.html

Re: Joint finish ?

Jim -
    Generally, builders angle the bricks so that there is almost no joint inside the oven. You can use a joint tool, but really you want as small a joint as possible
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

If possible, it will always be better to densify the joint, whatever it is. Not for shape, just to pack the mortar. A finger works fine.

Comment

If that is the case , what would happen if the bricks were dry stacked ? The cladding should hold everything in place , should'nt it ?
        My Oven Build

Comment

The joints in the top of my dome are down-right embarrassing. I have stelagtites hanging from the ceiling!!! I wish I could do all over again, but guess what, it works fine! As a matter of fact, my oven is cranking right now! Cooking some wings and baked potatoes....

Comment

Technically, you do not need the mortar at all. Realistically, you need the mortar to contain the fire.

Comment

Many kilns are built either partially or completely with mortar less joints.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I am building a barrel vault oven and want to lay the base bricks horizontally for 3 courses before starting the arch. I think I will put a small mortar joint on this "wall" just to hold them in position for the arch. Does that sound like a reasonable method?
                My Oven Build

Comment

Another Vaulter.....
                  Have you worked out how are you going to over come the side loads on the oven walls yet?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Al , I am planning on a 4 inch cladding . My thinking might be all wrong here , but living where the avg. temp is 40 degrees or below for 5 months out of the year , I am thinking that the mass will be to my benefit . Thoughts?
                    My Oven Build

Comment

4" of what sort of cladding?

Have you a rough sketch of what you are aiming at?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

4" extra thermal mass is a lot. It will take many hours for the heat to soak right through to that thickness. You would probably be better to halve the cladding thickness and increase the insulation.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          4" extra thermal mass is a lot. It will take many hours for the heat to soak right through to that thickness. You would probably be better to halve the cladding thickness and increase the insulation.
                          I agree with David, in Minnesota it gets even colder, and I spent more on insulation and it is no problem keeping my. Oven warm for days after one pizza evening, and bringing it from 400F on day 3 to 800 or more for another pizza night takes less than 30 minutes.

I cooked all last winter and plan the same this winter.

Chip
                          Chip

Comment

Al , my plan was to use regular concrete .

David and Chip , my plan now was to have 4 inches of cladding and 7 inches of loose perlite held between the cavity the outside wall and the cladding made . I am pouring the hearth tomorrow out of perlcrete . It is formed up at 5 1/2 inches thick .
                            My Oven Build

Comment

Im still lost as to your term "cladding", to me it is a covering outside of the insulation in which the oven lives.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X