Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie Pizza Oven DIY HELP!!!

Hi Azatty,

Do you do mostly curative smoking to preserve or flavor enhancement smoking? My method is quite simple, I plan my smoking around the third or 4th day after firing my oven, have oven saturation around 150-200 degrees, depending on what I'm smoking, make a small fire, using cherry or lemon wood. I place my cast iron grill grid on top of two column of 3 bricks, so the meat is in the dome area where the smoke is saturated, seal the door to smother the flames, check on it every hour or so to allow air to rekindle the wood to fill the dome with smoke again.

Comment

laurentias,

Heading to Tokyo today. Wish i was in your neck of the woods and would have drpped by to see your wfo
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Sounds like it works. That's sort of what I figured you have to do with a WFO.

I smoke to cook the meat, 12-18 hours, with a constant flow of fresh smoke. I typically use a mix of oak and pecan, although I just bought some almond? When my offset is running, you can see the smoke passing through the chamber and out the chimney. So the big difference in technique is that you're using stored heat and smoke while I use constant flow of new heat and new smoke. The temperature is controlled by restricting air flow with a chimney damper or vents on the firebox.

Comment

Hi Russell,

When are leaving and how long will you be in Tokyo? That in my neck of the wood so to speak.

Comment

the smoking conversation is pretty far afield here - but I just had an idea based on azatty's comment:

could one rig up a good hands-off smoking approach with the WFO using a door that had inflow and outflow ports, where one had a fan that was managed by a temperature controlled PID? basically set the thing up to maintain a low temp fire that the fan keeps supplied with fresh air?
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Yeah, we well and truly hijacked the thread.

Typical stoker systems use a thermocouple, fan, food probe, and control unit. It wouldn't be hard to adapt the concept to a WFO door. BBQ Guru is one I'm building into my brick smoker. The trick would be venting the oven exhaust. Stoker manufacturers assume you have a properly sized exhaust vent, and you'd have to do the math to figure your vent size. I've only done the calcs for cylindrical and rectangular smokers.

On a WFO, I might put the fan on the exhaust port given how air flows through the dome.
              Last edited by azatty; 10-31-2012, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Hi Azatty,

You might live in AZ, but it sounds as if your roots are from Texas of further south? I remember the smoke house with the hams and shoulders dripping fat, the red pepper-sugar cured hams and us kids would prefer a bologna sandwich on store bought white bread. I've almost forgotten what real ham taste like.

Comment

I learned to smoke when I lived in Texas 20 some odd years ago. I'm building a mini-smokehouse by my WFO. Hopefully I'll have bacon by Christmas.

Comment

Hi Azatty,

Can you keep me updated on your mini-smokehouse, by PM or I could send you my email address, that something that I'm interested in doing, I have farmers around that raise animals and I'm tired of faux food. Real bacon, that renders fat rather than a chemical residue or ham that has a texture other than tofu.

Comment

Sure, will do. I thought about posting the project in one if the other subforms.

Comment

Working...
                      X