Should I Buy A Cover For My Oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Buy A Cover For My Oven?

Is it a good idea to to buy a cover for my outdoor oven? I live in the northeast and plan to use it through the winter, but my primavera style oven is new and I'm not sure how wise it is to keep it exposed to rain, snow and ice.

Re: Should I Buy A Cover For My Oven?

Hi Bob,
    A wood-fired oven would work very well in cold climates, and it won’t have any trouble with snow and very cold temperatures. A modern wood oven is installed using high tech insulation, which holds the heat in when the oven is cooking and keeps the cold out. We have many photographs of ovens working in the snow on Fornobravo.com, and the because of the insulation, the snow never even melts on the outside of the oven enclosure.

It is important that your oven is installed properly, using the insulation that comes with the Forno Bravo modular oven kits, and that it is installed with a waterproof enclosure. The Primavera and Toscana assembled ovens can also work in your your climate.

Comment

If I lived in an area with a fair amount of rain and weather, I would certainly cover the oven when not in use.

Comment

I guess since my oven doesn't really have an enclosure around it, though well insulated, I worry about moisture penetrating through the surface and any ill effects that could have after a big freeze or a soaking rain. Maybe it's the newbie in me though since it's not easy to find pizza oven covers online aside from one in the FB store.

Comment

I live in NY so the climate is the same as yours. I am building an igloo style oven because I liked the look, but have the same concerns as you.

Once I am completed I plan on covering the oven when not in use. I installed a 12 piece of chimney pipe to the vent. The rest of the chimney is placed on top of that. This way I could remove the cap and long section of chimney for big storms or the off season and cover the entire structure with a tarp. It would be difficult to cover the oven with a full chimney installed.

Doug O

Comment

Buy one from FB and be done with it. I did and it is worth the piece of mind. I cover it while not in use and even drape it on the back if it's raining while I'm cooking.

The oven suffered through Sandy and then a doozy of a Nor'easter with the cover on and the oven did not require any mini curing, even though I did just to be sure.

Comment

Working...
            X