pizza crispy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pizza crispy

So I am having a hard time getting the bottom of the pizza crispy. I let the oven heat up for about an hour (it is not a very large oven). The fire bricks are nice and hot but the top and sides start to burn and the bottom is still doughy. What am I doing wrong

Re: pizza crispy

Do you have a thermometer? or have you tried to test the floor temperature by casting flour onto the surface?

I use a laser thermometer but I am told that you can get a good "read" on your floor temperature by tossing some flour on the floor and counting how long it takes to turn black. < 2 seconds is too hot > 4 seconds is too cool.

It also depends on the material that your hearth is made out of. I understand that Medium and High Duty firebrick will transfer heat more quickly, as will soap stone. But the "flour trick" should give you an idea anyway.

Regards,
    AT

Comment

Is the pizza cooked and just not crispy, or is it raw? Does the bottom have any color, is it browned of spotted at all?

Pizza cooked fast at high temperature will not be crispy, it is traditionally light, soft and floppy by design. To achieve a crisp pizza you need to lower the temperature and extended the bake time. In traditional styles Neapolitan is a 60 second bake and will be very soft and pliable. Fast baked New York style pizza is generally around 4-6 minutes and is chewy and foldable, stiffer then Neapolitan but still not crisp. New Haven Style is cooked about 6 minutes and is probably the fastest baked traditional style that you could call crisp. Once you leave traditional style you will find people doing 2-3.5 minute "hybrid" pizzas or Americanized Neapolitan that are crisp.

Comment

If I saw cooked pizza on top, and less than done pizza on the bottom, I'd conclude the cooking floor needed to be hotter. Fire with a little bigger fire or for 20 or 30 minutes longer with the smaller one. Then, put the fire to the side and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to equalize the heat (I put the door on for that time). 750 F is our preferred cooking floor temperature, its about 3-4 minutes to cook at that temp. Around 800+ F it cooks really fast. We cook with a small flame to the side, it keeps some heat in the floor and dome while you are cooking. HTH
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
        X