Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Door

Hi everyone!!!
    I have just finished my wood oven door(5 hours of work!).
    It's a metal casing 1,5 cm thick with 3 layer's of 2,5 cm ceramic blanket and a wooder face.
    From the pictures you can see that it was the first time in welding world for me!
    I was using an old copper weld with minimun of 50 A, welding a 1,5 cm steenless steel was nearly imposible!!!
    Now it's only the paint job and it's ok!

Just a quick question i used this silicone
    Silicone High Temp Products - Bison
    Do you thing is will be ok?
    Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 04-13-2013, 10:43 AM.

Re: Oven Door

Nice looking door. Welding stainless for your first attempt is brave. It is much more difficult to weld stainless than mild steel. I can see why you had trouble.

You might want to tack weld a pipe around the thermometer probe. I find that my door is forever tipping onto the back, I'm glad I put protection on it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000235.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	293846
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
      Nice looking door. Welding stainless for your first attempt is brave. It is much more difficult to weld stainless than mild steel. I can see why you had trouble.

You might want to tack weld a pipe around the thermometer probe. I find that my door is forever tipping onto the back, I'm glad I put protection on it.
      [ATTACH]34857[/ATTACH]
      Thank you for your kind words!
      It was really hard to NOT make holes everywhere.
      DiId you weld your door with a tig welder?
      Putting the pipe would not effect the temp reading?

Comment

Well, I think the general consensus is that door thermometers are not too accurate. Think of it as more of an estimate of the temp of your oven. Mine is typically between 50 and 75 degrees low vs. the reading I get with my IR thermometer. But I don't think the pipe affects it as the entire back of the door gets pretty hot - it equalizes with the oven.
        My build progress

Comment

...the entire back of the door gets pretty hot - it equalizes with the oven.
          I hope that the wood won't ignite!After all I will use the door for under 270 celcius.

Comment

Probably won't ignite, but it may char a bit...

Why I built mine all of metal
            My build progress

Comment

Probably won't ignite, but it may char a bit...

Why I built mine all of metal
              I also fear that the outer part of the door will burn, mine is built similar but has metal on the full outer skin similar to the dimension of the wood on your door but the wood is recessed inside the dimension of the metal by about .75 inches, the wood has even charred from the bolts that go thru to the inside of the door (I need to change the mounting of those handles) there are very hot gasses that escape near the top of the door and I fear that your wood will end up as fire soon.

If you can I would remove the wood and replace with sheet metal and then reattach the wood after cutting it down about .5 - .75 inches. I painted the metal black on the outside so as to not draw the eye to it so the wood still sees the wood as the focal point.

I also agree with the door thermometer it reads about 100F low but because that is a known factor it still gives me a guide as to what the temp is, and as i can see the thermometer from inside the house it is real nice to see what the oven is at for the days cooking.

Chip
              Last edited by mrchipster; 04-13-2013, 01:43 PM.
              Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                I also fear that the outer part of the door will burn, mine is built similar but has metal on the full outer skin similar to the dimension of the wood on your door but the wood is recessed inside the dimension of the metal by about .75 inches, the wood has even charred from the bolts that go thru to the inside of the door (I need to change the mounting of those handles) there are very hot gasses that escape near the top of the door and I fear that your wood will end up as fire soon.
                Chip
                I think that if you manage the wooden part not to come in touch with the bricks it will be ok, are you using the door with fire?
                At what temps are you using your door?
                I am asking because there are some of us here in forno bravo that have used all wooden door, in just fiberglass tape and rope.

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
                  I think that if you manage the wooden part not to come in touch with the bricks it will be ok, are you using the door with fire?
                  At what temps are you using your door?
                  I am asking because there are some of us here in forno bravo that have used all wooden door, in just fiberglass tape and rope.
                  It's not where it touches the bricks that's the problem, it's the radiant heat that hits the door right in the middle I've found. Prolonged exposure to this heat is what kills it, if uninsulated. Soaking it in water probably givens it about another 15 mins.
                  If you use it for max temps of 275C you should be ok, but don't expect it to survive too well if you leave it in place for hours at hotter temps.
                  Replacing a wooden door is pretty easy and cheap though and at least it doesn't get dangerously hot like an uninsulated steel door does.I love the look of a wooden door.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    It's not where it touches the bricks that's the problem, it's the radiant heat that hits the door right in the middle I've found. Prolonged exposure to this heat is what kills it, if uninsulated. Soaking it in water probably givens it about another 15 mins.
                    If you use it for max temps of 275C you should be ok, but don't expect it to survive too well if you leave it in place for hours at hotter temps.
                    Replacing a wooden door is pretty easy and cheap though and at least it doesn't get dangerously hot like an uninsulated steel door does.I love the look of a wooden door.
                    David, have you noticed that I have 3 layers of ceramic blanket between the wood part of the door and the inner othe oven?
                    Isn't this enough to keep the radiated heat away from the wood?

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
                      David, have you noticed that I have 3 layers of ceramic blanket between the wood part of the door and the inner othe oven?
                      Isn't this enough to keep the radiated heat away from the wood?
                      Sorry, my error. I didn't go back far enough on the thread. I was assuming, incorrectly, that your door was uninsulated. After all that hard work even if the wood chars at the top and you eventually want to replace it, then just remaking the wood part should be easy.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                        Sorry, my error. I didn't go back far enough on the thread. I was assuming, incorrectly, that your door was uninsulated. After all that hard work even if the wood chars at the top and you eventually want to replace it, then just remaking the wood part should be easy.
                        Hope it won't char that much, as far as I know char acts like an insulation!
                        Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 04-22-2013, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X