Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireplace vs. Pizza Oven vs. Bread Oven ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireplace vs. Pizza Oven vs. Bread Oven ??

Is it possible to get all of these? My wife and I are building and she'd like a fireplace next to the kitchen, on an interior wall. Being the proud owner of a Big Green Egg, I immediately lept at the chance to cook something in this "fireplace."

I hope this doesn't sound crazy, but can a larger domed pizza oven work with a larger opening sufficient to just enjoy a crackling fire if I'm not cooking?

Re: Fireplace vs. Pizza Oven vs. Bread Oven ??

Although we don't get the harsh winters here in Oregon that you do...it gets cold enough for me. This winter we closed the outside sunshades over the screened windows in our den and (after baking bread) I started another fire in the oven to continue the "bake day party". With the wind minimized by the sunshade cloth and without the fire door in place, the oven provided a fair amount of radiant heat and certainly gave us a wonderful "fireplace" for the rest of the evening's party. So in my humble opinion, the WFO can certainly do pizza, bread, and provide a fireplace ambiance...just not all at once
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Fireplace vs. Pizza Oven vs. Bread Oven ??

Originally posted by TJames View Post
      Is it possible to get all of these? My wife and I are building and she'd like a fireplace next to the kitchen, on an interior wall. Being the proud owner of a Big Green Egg, I immediately lept at the chance to cook something in this "fireplace."

I hope this doesn't sound crazy, but can a larger domed pizza oven work with a larger opening sufficient to just enjoy a crackling fire if I'm not cooking?
      If you want an oven that provides more of a fireplace feel you could make the entrance wider than normal but try and stay near the 63% opening to dome height ratio.

Mine is outside and even when -5F as the cook I can stay reasonably warm near the oven.

Will this be inside the house or as part of an enclosed porch? The reason I ask is that you will need to consider how you are going to deal with the flue to keep heat and cold from escaping when the oven is not in use. You may want to consider some type of flue cap at the top and a decorative outer door. If is truly inside the house

Also remember these ovens use a great deal of oxygen so they need a good amount of outside air to breathe.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

Working...
      X