vermiculite or perlite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vermiculite or perlite

Hi I am trying to get started on building my brick oven but the only place that i have found vermiculite or perlite is home depot and they only have one type of each . is there a certain brand or a certain grain that I should be looking for and where can I get it Or can i use what they have at Home depot ?
    I must also add that I have never laid a brick in my life but this looks like a fun project .

Re: vermiculite or perlite

Originally posted by arturo0161 View Post
    Hi I am trying to get started on building my brick oven but the only place that i have found vermiculite or perlite is home depot and they only have one type of each . is there a certain brand or a certain grain that I should be looking for and where can I get it Or can i use what they have at Home depot ?
    I must also add that I have never laid a brick in my life but this looks like a fun project .
    Try your local plant nurseries. Look for medium or course grade. I've read where some have found even better deals at concrete suppliers.

I would say that the greatest builds on this forum were constructed by builders such as yourself. They had no preconceived notions to how it should be done .

If you haven't; download the plans, do so, study several builds on the forum, and you will be OK .
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-07-2013, 05:34 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I found my zonolite at a masonry supply. 4 cubic feet per bag and reasonable too.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo0161 View Post
        If you are using vermiculite or perlite to mix with cement to make what we call perlcrete or vermicrete then the easiest stuff to work with is the medium grade. The fine grade sticks together a bit better, but requires more water which then needs to be eliminated. The coarse stuff does not stick so well but is probably marginally better as an insulator. If using it dry and loose then the coarse stuff is probably better. I've found that a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and perlite works better when mixed with cement and water than either of them alone.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Look for horticultural grade perlite, it doesn't have the fines that block fill perlite has.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

thank you all for your replies and encouragement . I hope to start soon and hopefully post some pics of my progress .

Comment

Working...
            X