Locating near buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating near buildings

Hi all. First time on this forum...and first time cob oven builder.

Everywhere I look it states that you should not place your cob oven near buildings[house, garage etc] but in the pics on this page, there are people who have built ovens inside what appear to be wooden sheds.

I live in a suburban area and while I have a good sized yard, I would rather have the oven closer to my house. Much of my yard has trees and plants and the only available space is a few feet from my back porch[made of wood].

Can anyone advise?

Re: Locating near buildings

Usually the rule is that the chimney has to be two feet higher than anything within ten feet. So you can build it in a shed, as long as the chimney is 2 feet above the roof. If you build the oven up against your house, you should have a chimney 2 feet above your home's roof. I just built mine 10 feet from my house...
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
      Usually the rule is that the chimney has to be two feet higher than anything within ten feet. So you can build it in a shed, as long as the chimney is 2 feet above the roof. If you build the oven up against your house, you should have a chimney 2 feet above your home's roof. I just built mine 10 feet from my house...
      Ditto... Our code is 10 foot from anything combustible as well.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Check with your local building inspector or a local contractor, tell them you are thinking of building a built in BBQ grill as they will likely not have a WFO reference. In our city the 2 ft vertical above a nearby roof rule plus 15 ft horizontal from any combustable structure. My oven opening is exactly 15 ft from my kitchen. My flue is taller than necessary, but it breathes well.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

I'm a newbie as well....Had an oven built by a guy I found on the FB website. He cooked amazing pizzas for my daughter's wedding reception. Now it's sitting on a pallet in my garage (no stand yet) as we are figuring out how to finish the exterior and where we will locate it in the backyard. Unfortunately our amazing builder/pizzaiolo has totally flaked on us. I wanted to locate it next to the patio, close to the rear vinyl fence and next to a large pine tree. Not a great idea since the pine tree is combustible?

Comment

Working...
          X