Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic questions for a 36" in Denmark

Hi FB
    After following this great Forum for about a year, I?m finally about to make my own oven.

Right now I?m working on the stand, and while some might say that this is the easy part, my lack of experience within any kind of craftsmanship forces me to read up on every tiny step of the process. It?s time consuming but so far I?ve been enjoying it greatly.

I hope to finish the stand this weekend and then collect the firebrick the coming week. I expect the inside diameter of the oven to be about 92 cm (36?), and have ordered 160 firebricks. Do you guys think this is going to be enough? Firebricks are ridiculously expensive here, about $4 per brick. So I really want to keep my needs at a minimum.
    I don?t expect to custom cut every brick but basically just cut each brick in half. I know the inside of the oven won?t be as sooth and good looking as if I custom cut the bricks, but will the performance be affected?

The floor of the oven will be put on top of a base of about 10cm (4?) Portland cement and 5cm (2?) of Vermiculite boards. Will these boards be enough insulation?

My last question for now is regarding the mortar. I originally planed to be using homebrew, but I?m having trouble translating ?fireclay? into anything I can find at shops around here. So now I?m considering buying refectory mortar. I found a bag of 25 kg for about $50. My question is then how many bags I should expect to use? I know this is a hard question to answer, but every guess is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Working...
X