Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pre soak vermiculite for a smoother finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre soak vermiculite for a smoother finish?

Hello Folks,

We are working on some little architectural pieces, not an oven, though I've found all kinds of info on your website and appreciate it being out there.

We are using a mix of vermiculite sizes one larger grain from a garden center that comes in 6 cu. foot bags and the small tiny grains from Uline, the shipping folks, great to work with.

We are trying to get a nice cosmetic finish in our molds and we are for the most part. The parts that are surrounded by the mold come out nice and smooth as seen in the second picture. However the top of our mold where it is exposed and could be trowel finished, etc... seems to always come out rough.

I'm hoping someone with more vermiculite experience can provide some guidance. I've heard some people soak theirs overnight while others mix and go.

We haven't soaked overnight, but before I waste more product and get the same rough result, I'm looking for any sage wisdom.

It makes sense to me that not soaking overnight on this absorbent aggregate might be causing it to suck up the layer of milk or water that forms at the top and therefore we get the ugly finish pictured second below.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, sorry not oven related, but hope you'll help me anyway!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4703.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	841.6 KB
ID:	319868

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4704.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	694.4 KB
ID:	319869
Working...
X