X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: CRACKS!!!!Stress rising

A monolithic cast dome shape is going to crack, period. Drink beer, fire it up and if bits start dropping off, hold Forno's feet to the fire.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I figure that if more ovens have cracks than not then it is probably abnormal not to have them. Provided of course that they stay within the realm of being cracks. Once smoke emanates from them then they become fissures and probably need some remedial action.

Probably a bit like wrinkles, part of the character of what they appear on.

I think the relaxed cold one sounds like the right strategy.

Leave a comment:

• austinmc
    replied

no blanket....it is a 3 piece dome. Had a few sticks in there, but was not to bad, sent the pictures to Forno bravo, they told me, and I quote..... "I had my production crew Look at your photos, and this type of crack is something that can happen on occasion with brick ovens due to the expansion and contraction that results from thermal cycling. But it will not cause you any problems, either with how well your oven cooks or on its long-term durability. You can continue using your oven and not worry about this. As far as the gap he said that is not abnormal and will not cause any problem what so ever. You can continue your curing it is not going to separate or damage the dome.", .........so I guess I keep going......So maybe I relax, have a cold one

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by austinmc View Post
    After a long week to dry out, I have started my cure. 2 days in , CRACKS. It looks like the dome pieces are separated by about 1/8" ,back wall looks about a 1" deep all around and like there are patch areas on the side walls.

I hope others have had this and say " don't worry, have a cold one and relax"
    Did you cure it with the blanket on or off? It looks like a cast oven, is it in sections or a one piece dome?
    Don't worry too much, because it is a dome it is self supporting and can't collapse. You must have gone too fast with the fire. You can't go too slow, but you can go too fast.If you bought it from a manufacturer ask them to look at it.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

I think cracks are part of the experience! I have a Pompeii oven so someone else with a Toscana can comment on your situation. I believe the thing to look for is if smoke is coming out of the cracks. If yes then you need to fill them in (I filled mine from the outside before the insulation was put on.) If not then consider them to be useful, natural expansion joints! So I say relax!

Leave a comment:

• austinmc
    started a topic CRACKS!!!!Stress rising

CRACKS!!!!Stress rising

After a long week to dry out, I have started my cure. 2 days in , CRACKS. It looks like the dome pieces are separated by about 1/8" ,back wall looks about a 1" deep all around and like there are patch areas on the side walls.

I hope others have had this and say " don't worry, have a cold one and relax"
Working...
X