Mortar recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortar recipe

Hi all, looking for some mortar recipe advise.... I have the refractory cement and sand but don't really know what ratio to mix them... This would be used to hold the bricks together.

Secondly, I then need a recipe for the mortar with added perlite, to clad the brick dome.

Regards
    Phil

Re: Mortar recipe

Originally posted by fourlambs View Post
    Hi all, looking for some mortar recipe advise.... I have the refractory cement and sand but don't really know what ratio to mix them... This would be used to hold the bricks together.

Secondly, I then need a recipe for the mortar with added perlite, to clad the brick dome.

Regards
    Phil
    For mortar use 4:1
    For cladding are you trying to add it for strength and thermal mass or for insulation?
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

This would be used to hold the bricks together.
      Or apart?.....

Welcome Phil.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

After the dome is built I will cover with ceramic blanket then the mortar + perlite blend, it is this blend that I am unsure of.

Thanks all...

Phil

Comment

After the dome is built I will cover with ceramic blanket then the mortar + perlite blend, it is this blend that I am unsure of.

Thanks all...

Phil
          For the perlite insulation layer you want to use plain. Portland cement (refractory mortar is much to expensive) and perlite at 10-1 or 11-1 you will need about 3 parts water to mix it. It will perform better if you can get some vermiculite to mix in at near 50-50 with the perlite but it is not necessary, should you get some vermiculite keep the overall ratio of 10-1 insulator to Portland.

It will want to slump and Behiver used a curved trowel and a form to follow - he made them up to work it and it seemed to be a good way to go
          Last edited by mrchipster; 08-06-2013, 06:12 AM.
          Chip

Comment

Working...
          X