Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building oven around a clay dome?

Hi,
    I was looking at my options surrounding an oven, and I don't think I can do the brick thing. I found a place that sells portugese clay ovens (complete dome to floor) and all the insulating products. I was wondering if this was a viable option?

Essentially lay out the insulation , place the clay oven, build the front with chimney and wrap/finish the outside. So it seems this is an easier route (I know I way over simplified it) but is it a good route. The dome and floor would be terra cotta going this route?

So I haven't seen a lot on here about this so there is probably a reason, the kit I'm referencing isn't a FB kit so out of respect I will not link to it. I'm trying to understand conceptually if this is a route that makes sense.

Thanks!

Re: Building oven around a clay dome?

I looked at one of those about a year ago...It was suggested to me at that time that it would need more mass to retain heat and a layer of brick might be needed in the floor. I did'nt buy it http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?n=5634
    Last edited by thickstrings; 08-17-2013, 07:28 AM.
    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

There are plenty of ovens here that have no gabled or roofed enclosure. If you are insulating with a blanket or mineral wool, you would need a cladding to act as a substrate for your finish of choice.

One of the best ways is to use vermiculite or perlite mixed with portland, because it provides an insulating structural layer, suitable for many kinds of material.

As to what you use to finish it...use your imagination. You can create a mosaic with pebbles or tile, stone, brick,tumbled glass, pottery, sea shells, stucco,etc,etc,etc.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
        I looked at one of those about a year ago...It was suggested to me at that time that it would need more mass to retain heat and a layer of brick might be needed in the floor. I did'nt buy it PhotoPlog - Dome and Floor
        That was the pc I had in mind...what would cause it to crack?

Comment

I did'nt refer to any cracking....It was said to me that it needed more mass to retain heat,as the clay is only 1 1/2" thick, so a firebrick floor on the inside would give you that. Also, it would give you a opening closer to the magic 63%. , I found the old thread from a year ago... http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ons-18189.html

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
            I did'nt refer to any cracking....It was said to me that it needed more mass to retain heat,as the clay is only 1 1/2" thick, so a firebrick floor on the inside would give you that. Also, it would give you a opening closer to the magic 63%. , I found the old thread from a year ago... http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ons-18189.html
            Sorry, there was a post under the pic link.

So adding firebrick to the floor isn't so bad I guess, is the due going to be thick enough if it were insulated well?

Comment

Could be marginal...hard to say.....Like I said above...I did'nt buy it...You still have to fool around with it, and by the time your done ya could pretty near have a real one instead of a large flower pot who's abilities are questionable. If you are looking at a no brick, then look for a refractory modular one......Better properties than the clay......Just like the ones Forno Bravo sells...... Just noted the comment below the pic....I would have to agree,it would probably crack. Ever leave a clay pot out over winter?
              Last edited by thickstrings; 08-17-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Is the "brick thing" due to masonary skills, if so there are many of use that never laid a brick before embarking on a WFO build and we made some D&*m nice ovens. Is it tools, there have been ovens made with brick chisel and a hammer, to full blown tool purchases cement mixers, wet saws, etc. depends on the budget. Budget, with patience and scounging, craiglist or Restore, a build can be done relatively inexpensive. Time, can't do nuttin about that
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

So, most of the ovens I've seen on here it's all the multi angles cuts that really concern me. From past experience that doesn't turn out well for me, lol.

If it was just cutting brick in half and slapping g them in place sure no problem.

Comment

Ovens can be done by for the most with hand split bricks. Take a look at the attached link by a build by Fabby, aka a Flabby. Just some options.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/4...tml#post148942
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by 69firebird View Post
                      So, most of the ovens I've seen on here it's all the multi angles cuts that really concern me. From past experience that doesn't turn out well for me, lol.

If it was just cutting brick in half and slapping g them in place sure no problem.
                      Gudday
                      Yes you can build without brick saws my own oven has survived three yrs of use without any problems . You'll find that the good ok'd USA the firebricks are way cheaper than here so its certainly a money wise option.
                      If you really want some inspiration check out Bruce's folly in the getting started section he built his out if a wheelchair
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Ok,
                        I tried to get the plans from the store and didn't receive them, I'll try again and see what I can find locally for bricks.

Comment

Here ya go ... Pompeii Oven Plans2.0 ......The people on here will be more than helpful with your questions when they come up......

Comment

just 2 cents...

If you have the time and a good location and a little cash-go with the brick oven. It is not that difficult-just hard work and a patience mainly. The beauty of the finished product is concealed usually under mounds of insulation. You will have a quality oven and a lot of flexibility to cook whatever food you can imagine.

Texman
                            Texman Kitchen
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

You can build it using half bricks cut roughly with a bolster, then place the rough cut to the outside. You will have some large gaps to fill so some temporary wooden wedges on the outside will help. The home brew is cheap and effective for this method.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X