Own design modular idea question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Own design modular idea question

Enjoying the whole forum. Question at the end.
    I'm intending to build a pizza oven in stages. So I can prepare the dome out of the weather and take it to final build site in bits, light enough to carry by hand.
    Here's the idea.
    1) make a former. Probably 'Mudrock' over chicken wire to avoid loads of sand inside the shed. The chicken wire is itself formed over some cheap 4mm polycarbonate twin wall glazing I have spare and can cut with a knife.
    2) Make the dome out of castable refractory, either a heat resist screed or mouldable firebrick.
    3) Before it has set, cut through it in 12 segments, starting from a 12 sided keystone. Each piece wiil be light enough to pick up.
    4) Allow it to set.
    5) Carry out and assemble in final location, like a dry build, ready for small curing fire then insulation.

I thought of making geodesic based on soccer ball, but don't have the skill to make the shapes accurately enough. Ditto a truncated prism. But this way, the cuts do not need to be accurate! Just numbered so they fit again. I'll use an old penknife.

The actual dome shape is a smaller version of Pompeii style, with 60cm internal diameter.

Questions
    Do you think it'll work? Any improvements?
    I only want to cook 12" pizza at a time, occasional steak, whole chicken etc for max eight people. Is it big enough?
    Yes
    0%
    Yes but fewer pieces
    0%
    Yes but more pieces
    0%
    Not very well
    0%
    Other
    0%

The poll is expired.

Coastman